amuck-landowner

Ecobee3 Lite Thermostat

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Does anyone have one of these? I'm eyeing one but haven't pulled the trigger yet. The Honeywell Lyric line looks pretty interesting as well.

The Ecobee definitely has IFTTT support and from what I can find the Lyric does too. The Ecobee definitely has a larger following.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I have a nest, was it a good purchase, no.

jarland

The ocean is digital
I use the ecobee 3 lite with HomeKit and Siri. Zero regrets. They updated it to work with the external sensors now too. Been using it for I guess about 6 months or so.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
I use the ecobee 3 lite with HomeKit and Siri. Zero regrets. They updated it to work with the external sensors now too. Been using it for I guess about 6 months or so.

Do you have geofencing setup? That's one of the features I'm really interested in.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Ended up getting the full on Ecobee 3 with one room sensor for now. Probably add 2 more sensors in the future then I'll have enough sensors to use the automatic occupation logic, though geofencing might render that pointless.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Never tried to do that but seems like it wouldn't be much of a thing to do with that setup. Seems to work with IFTTT.

It's also got native Geofencing support in the app. Haven't played with it yet though.

So far I'm beyond pleased with the thermostat!

WasNotWSS

I set 7 programs, and each one is override with a simple forward-facing set of keypads.

I'm thinking of wasting a few minutes and building an Arduino setup with latching relays.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
I set 7 programs, and each one is override with a simple forward-facing set of keypads.

I'm thinking of wasting a few minutes and building an Arduino setup with latching relays.

What do you mean "forward-facing set of keypads"? Are you talking about another element in your setup that you use to override it?

WasNotWSS

What do you mean "forward-facing set of keypads"? Are you talking about another element in your setup that you use to override it?

Yes, they're an override where I can queue up/down, and manually override the current settings. It works really well, but it's cumbersome, so whenever I leave for an extended period of time, I replace this "Good idea gone bizarre" with a $20 weekly-programmable thermostat which mostly does the same function. :D

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
Why not just use your cell phone? I guess I'm not understanding the end point of what you've setup, unless the goal was simply to see if it could be done.

WasNotWSS

Why not just use your cell phone? I guess I'm not understanding the end point of what you've setup, unless the goal was simply to see if it could be done.

That was pretty much precisely it. I did it because I was bored, and figured it would annoy my millenial cousins who think that <s>digital watches</s> controlling everything from their cell phone was a pretty good idea. I'm a surly cantankerous old bastard.

amuck-landowner