amuck-landowner

Ever wonder how network cabling span oceans? Pretty neat video.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Was watching this last night and meant to share it: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvlowj_tyco-resolute-mighty-ships-discovery_tech

In this episode of Mighty Ships, the Tyco company's "Resolute" helps get Costa Rica better connected to the rest of the world via Global Crossing's network expansion which involved laying cable down from their on-land POP to a network cable several miles off shore that lay deep beneath the ocean. The cable they split to connect Costa Rica was previously a cable direct from California to Panama. Pretty amazing stuff, especially for those of us who have ethernet cables poorly placed all around our homes. Imagine being responsible for a much more important project? :p

Well worth the 40 minute watch for those of you who are interested in the process of laying down undersea cable. Sometimes it's easy to forget that the reason we're able to communicate digitally is due to very real and physical cables and connections that were layed down by man or man-operated-machine. I was particularly interested in the undersea vehicles operated via remote control.

For the curious, here is a map of undersea cables as of 2009.:

KkTwYKV.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SentinelTower

Neat video, I wish they showed more of the actual splicing.

Did anyone else notice they're running XP in their "Transmission Room" ?

eSugK1A.png

Haha, you too are the kind of guy that focuses an all the computer screens in every movie you watch to check their OS :)

Maybe their software only runs on XP and they cannot upgrade it. They are still using CRT monitors as well so they probably are in the "it works, why change?" mood.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Reminds me of the network map in Akamais NOC video still displaying the Soviet Union as one country...

Abdussamad

I live in Pakistan and we have only 2 cables connecting us to the rest of the world. Once every 3-4 years or so a cable gets cut, usually due to some fishing boat or something, and the entire country's internet connectivity slows down to a crawl. We then hear about these cable ships that cost $100,000 a day to operate and there are news stories speculating about how long it will take them to come and fix the damn undersea cable so we can start watching cat videos again :p I had no idea how much trouble they have to go through to install these darn cables.

There was an interesting proposal by a regional NGO that researches telecoms. They suggested that we build cables alongside regional highways instead of installing them on the sea bed:

http://lirneasia.net/2011/10/abu-saeed-khan-on-lion-the-asian-information-highway/

Given how much of a hassle it is to install and maintain undersea cables I wish they would implement this proposal.

tonyg

The ship was built in 2002 and the actual cable laying was performed in 2008. That migh explain Windows XP and the CRT monitor.

danielm

Just finished watching this. Very interesting stuff. Anyone know the current capacity of PAC (the network they were extending)?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
those of us who have ethernet cables poorly placed all around our homes
No ethernet cables here...my Internets is a series of tubes.

Anyone know the current capacity of PAC (the network they were extending)?
It was 800 Gbps a few years ago but additional capacity has probably been added since then.  According to this submarine cable industry report (54 page .pdf), the total capacity of all submarine cable between North and South America was 9Tbps at the end of 2013 with another 100 Tbps in the planning stages.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Watched it all and it looked way, way too painfully tedious for someone with my attention span.

I can't imagine the kind of stress these guys are under

gharo

It's the Greenland Connect that fascinates me. What an amazing endeavor, connecting that icy part of the world. But apparently it doesn't get much use due to high usage charges.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Interesting 45min documentary about France Telecom with shots from the cable producers etc. - German however. Might be able to locate the French version as well if someone wants (ARTE is a dual language channel from Germany & France)

amuck-landowner