amuck-landowner

Facts I've Learned About Trying to Quit Smoking

Shoaib_A

There is a stress-free way of quitting smoking which is by use of homeopathic medicines. There are quite a few medicine which not only help to quit smoking stress-free but also quickly recover the damage which it has been doing to different organs especially the lungs.

mitgib

Verified Provider
I know we were not allowed to smoke the first 10 days of basic training, now 35 years later, I really regret not staying quit

mitgib

Verified Provider
Far cleaner, far cheaper

Definitely cheaper, I figure it is about 80c a pack, but cleaner is debatable.  I am able to buy locally 1lb of not the worst tobacco and 3 boxes of tube for $18, makes about 600 smokes, and I am able to knock out a few packs in the time it takes to watch a 1/2 hour show.

For those doing math, I know it says 60c, but factor in the $60-80 over 2-3 years for the roller costs.

If you mean cleaner as in less additives, well that is the debatable part.  I don't know for sure one way or the other, a friend recently quit rolling and went back to buying store bought smokes saying the ones he rolled made him hack more.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Definitely cheaper, I figure it is about 80c a pack, but cleaner is debatable.  I am able to buy locally 1lb of not the worst tobacco and 3 boxes of tube for $18, makes about 600 smokes, and I am able to knock out a few packs in the time it takes to watch a 1/2 hour show.

For those doing math, I know it says 60c, but factor in the $60-80 over 2-3 years for the roller costs.

If you mean cleaner as in less additives, well that is the debatable part.  I don't know for sure one way or the other, a friend recently quit rolling and went back to buying store bought smokes saying the ones he rolled made him hack more.

I picked up an electric roller for a smoker... quite nice < $100... puts together a good compact cigarette.  Well worth the money.

Clean part is disputable.  Depends on supplier / brands available.  I see a lot of people buying pipe tobacco and rolling it.  I think that's probably not the best idea / right stuff. 

Tobacco has been on my list of plants to grow.   Tried last year and no success. The seeds are basically like dust.  It depletes soil in one season too..  I use nicotine as a pest cure in gardens. Thus the growing of it.

I need to find a bag of nicotine powder and take a photo.. the warnings on the bags, multiple.  The stuff is deadly to everything.  

mitgib

Verified Provider
 I see a lot of people buying pipe tobacco and rolling it.  I think that's probably not the best idea / right stuff. 

It's a tax loophole thing, pipe tobacco is taxed lower than rolling tobacco.  So most is sold as dual purpose to avoid the high cigarette tax.

The seeds are basically like dust.

I've heard the best seeds are imported from England, but again, in the US, you are allowed to grow for yourself, but the minute you sell it, here comes the taxman.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I've heard the best seeds are imported from England, but again, in the US, you are allowed to grow for yourself, but the minute you sell it, here comes the taxman.

Never heard about English seed prior.   Will try that route.  Acquired varieties common in tobacco growing region of the southern US.  Was a strange growing season last year, possibly the issue.  

Gary

There is a stress-free way of quitting smoking which is by use of homeopathic medicines. There are quite a few medicine which not only help to quit smoking stress-free but also quickly recover the damage which it has been doing to different organs especially the lungs.

No there isn't, homeopathy is bullshit.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well @MannDude didn't you stop smoking?  How has that voyage gone? Tips or tricks you used to stay smoke free?

Yeah, I quit.

Well to be more specific, I quit multiple times and always started smoking again but less and less each time.

Then one day I ran out of smokes, I didn't feel like getting any right then and there since it was raining and cold or something. Figured I'd wait until morning and get some before work....

Overslept, no time to get smokes before work. By the time I got ready to get some, it had been 24 hours already. Figured I'd see how long I could go without a smoke at that point.

That's pretty much how I quit. I ran out, didn't want to get up and get some right then, and just never went out and bought anymore. I don't think I've bought a pack since.

With that said, the 3 or 4 times a year I actually drink I may bum one off a friend but I never go buy any or crave them outside the social aspect of standing in a circle outside a pub with some buddies and shooting the shit while smoking a cig. I've probably had 6 cigs in the last year and a half or something. Last one was on New Years eve... and the last one before that was probably, uh... 4th of July? I don't know.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Also, @geek, congrats on quiting. It sucks at first but you'll enjoy the newfound sense of smell and taste. I'm glad I don't smoke anymore and I swear I can smell cigerettes everywhere now. If I am at a stop light and the car in front of me has their window down and they're smoking: I smell it.

I also work in a prison now and cigerettes are a no-no there. People smuggle in tobacco anyways and if I am patrolling the yard I can smell it outside the units when people blow it out the vents and when down wind from the 'porch' areas and stuff.

It's nice being able to smell stuff again. :)

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
Thanks man.  Whatcha doing, building VPNs for an inmate Internet program?  :p 
So I'm only on my second week.  My desk looks like Dennis Nedry's (Newman) desk in Jurassic Park because of all the snacks I've been having during cravings.  I'm gonna put on 50 pounds before I'm done. :p

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Thanks man.  Whatcha doing, building VPNs for an inmate Internet program?  :p 
So I'm only on my second week.  My desk looks like Dennis Nedry's (Newman) desk in Jurassic Park because of all the snacks I've been having during cravings.  I'm gonna put on 50 pounds before I'm done. :p

Haha, nah. I'm a Correctional Officer... better pay and healthcare versus being a contract worker for a company. Harder to get laid off and replaced by outsourced teams this way... haha.

And yeah, when I first quit I was tired and hungry all the time. I'd eat, take a nap, wake up, be hungry, eat, few hours later... nap. Repeat. It stops soon. If you're in week 2 you're already over the hump.

amuck-landowner