amuck-landowner

Favorite server location?

SrsX

Banned
Mine is Germany. I got a paid off server for the next 6 months, 100mbit unmetered, 6 ip addresses, dual 500gb drives in raid1.

I use it for hosting some backups, data, a few websites, etc. It's fairly cheap, costed me about $350.

What's your favorite server location and why?

GVH-Jon

Banned
Mine is Buffalo, NY.

*waits for shitstorm*

jk my favorite location is Chicago IL

Last edited by a moderator:

fizzyjoe908

Verified Provider
I'd have to say Chicago too. Even if it wasn't so close to me, it is a large POP for virtually all carriers.

SrsX

Banned
See, I don't mind Chicago, however I prefer "offshore" places like Germany, Netherlands, etc. because of the less-strict speach laws, content laws, etc.

It's quite funny, the provider I use with my dedicated server, they gave me free 5 ips, when originally I only needed 1 ip which I paid for. So, they gave me 5 more ips anyways(all usable).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Chicago is alright, but not central US...

I like Kansas City, wish there were more options/networks there or in other cities darn near US Central.

I prefer offshore for real stuff where the false DMCA's and other speech chilling BS gets  /dev/null.

SrsX

Banned
drmike: Well, in regards to false DMCA's, offshore mostly all DMCA's is ignored. One provider I know the only report they ever responded to was the datacenter giving them the boot after the police stormed the datacenter and took the servers offline.

fizzyjoe908

Verified Provider
The thing with locations "more" central than Chicago is that traffic usually goes through Chicago anyway so it just adds an extra hop - Kansas City in particular.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
The thing with locations "more" central than Chicago is that traffic usually goes through Chicago anyway so it just adds an extra hop - Kansas City in particular.
That's true as we see hops now.  Fact is plenty of cross connect points lit that are more central and not just being back hauled to CHI or DAL.

KC suffers from not so great cheap backhaulers for the network.  A more diverse mix and they'd probably be doing gangbusters on sales and twice as big.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I am also a fan of Canada period.   Coast to Coast latency much less than US... Decent to Europe if Toronto/Montreal.

That might have something to do with being my neighbors here, ehh..

Last edited by a moderator:

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
I like Colo@'s 34 Peachtree location in Atlanta, GA. Been in that facility since they built it and now it's expanded.

peterw

Detroit as an alternative to Chicago

Los Angeles for my friends/family in Japan

Jacksonville for my friends in Brazil

SrsX

Banned
I am also a fan of Canada period.   Coast to Coast latency much less than US... Decent to Europe if Toronto/Montreal.

That might have something to do with being my neighbors here, ehh..
Canada is a nice location also, I must say. I don't see a lot of providers in there outside of OVH.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
  • Netherland and UK - next to the northern countries [Ramnode, DotVPS]
  • Florida - next to the south america countries [Tactical VPS]
  • Detroit and Dallas - for the middle of the US [AnyNode and Catalysthost]
  • Buffalo - to have a cheap playground [blueVM]
  • New York - for the in between location [buyVM]

AuroraZero

Liked Denver was a good network and worked good for my clients. What little I had that is. I no longer have since my provider up and moved and no I am on the West Coast with shit ping and shit IO. Hopefully will be changing this after the first of the year though.

Might give Chicago and go but not CC EVER!!! Need to find a good network and good servers there.

amuck-landowner