amuck-landowner

feathur = world worst support

Status
Not open for further replies.

raj

I'm a pico fan myself :)  Got familiar with it with pine on a VAX (4000 I think) and never bothered to use any other editor.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
, how do you think they sustain their business
If "they" is the owner of BlueVM/Feathur...

1. Rely on selling lots of annual plans to bargain seekers to fund their short term operating costs during their regular rotation (like clockwork every 45 days) offer on LowEndBox and hope like hell they sell enough annual plans on their next LEB offer so they can keep going

2. Hire contract workers who are underage, underpaid, children to work as support staff and sys admins to keep their costs down

What do you expect from a free open source software vendor that relies on donations to survive?

But on the other hand, BlueVM's support is pretty slow as well.
BlueVM's support is slow and the product they offer is mediocre at best and has frequent problems (poor performance, downtime, reboots, network problems...all of which are explained away with excuses)

Feathur so far has shown itself to be a buggy product and there are many posts about issues with Feathur on various hosting forums, i.e. it offers the same mediocre quality that it's owner's other products offer. 

Why anyone (i.e. mtwiscool) would use this product in a production environment other than because they're trying to save a few dollars is beyond me.

Last edited by a moderator:

fixidixi

@domainbop:

>>troll on<<

but hey its cheap!!!

it can do anything!!!

even write an ssh config file and restart a service!!!

it could be a whole lot faster to do that myself..

but.. that would require writing a sed search&replace, service ssh restart .. and ssh -c ..

w000t

>>troll off<<

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Sorry all...but that post (by you @raj) made me laugh out loud. It's funny because it's true :)

Oh dear. This guy! This is what's called "black comedy" (svart humor -- I've no idea how it translates into English), I suppose. Thanks Mathew! But at the same time he's annoying as hell.

There's a tool you can use to determine that, it's called vi.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You pay like $3 a month, that's extremely fucking cheap, how do you think they sustain their business if they hire a bunch of support operators? And with this price, they will ofc have a lot of customers, you need to stop thinking that the world revolves around you.
Plenty of cheap and open source projects where support is provided.  Does Feathur  even have a user community?

Price shouldn't mean accepting shit for customer support. If so we are writing many VPS companies a free pass to act like fools... I know it's fashionable these days to have anti-support and save money by ignoring customers... But no way such is going to fly with a small business selling to other small businesses.

they hire a bunch of support operators

They - Feathur/BlueVM haven't even hired folks to handle support workload of their hosting clients for years on end and have self admitted used volunteers, "unpaid interns" and other eyebrow raisers.... I don't see why they'd stop such practices.  Me yelling about such big picture hardly ever causes folks to change fundamentally, internally like that...

Something is up...  7 days and no reply fits with their recent VPS support and the comments for months now about lack of support.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I saw a paste from IRC with mtwiscool and BlueVM support... Uggh....  People over on IRC just have to be pricks don't they?

If I had someone repping my company - even if a volunteer - beating people in the face and about, I'd show them the door in a NYC second. Blah.. blah blah...

But in fairness, @mtwiscool was on about support in BlueVM's channel....  So, maybe he can explain why he was in the wrong place....

The proper channel info for Feathur "support"

IRC Support:
  • Server: irc.obsidianirc.net
  • Channel: #feathur
Unsure where the fine details are in Terms, licensing, etc. with Feathur, BUT the marketing says < 5 servers and non-commercial... But it is murky:

"Feathur is free for private use assuming you have 5 servers or less. If you intend to use Feathur for commercial use you need to purchase one license for every server you have that uses Feathur (master or slave)."

Those issues together... No Terms, Conditions, legal docs, etc.... on the website...  Yeah, no reason to pay for a license @mwiscool.... I mean commercial vs. private... Who defines these... No docs... No dice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner