amuck-landowner

Finnish teenager "Ryan" got 2 year suspended sentence for hacking

gxbfxvar

Finnish news magazines have been reporting today that Finnish teenager "Ryan" (Lizard Squad member) got 2 year suspended sentence (ehdollinen vankeusrangaistus)
for hacking over 50k servers and other related crimes. He was under 18, so the punishment was pretty small, but there are still some investigations ongoing.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/suomalaiselle_teinipojalle_ehdollista_vankeutta_torkeista_tietomurroista/8135346

http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/a1436234526466?jako=690ff31e50d3e4753ccd2daca0d392d4&ref=tw-share

Sorry, I don't know English links yet.

Tyler

What do you think about that? I think it's fair and perhaps he deserves a harsher sentence, based on hacking over 50,000 servers. Without the evidence or a lot of background, it's hard to say though

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I think it's pathetic.  But such depends on the evidence and willingness of people to come forward. 

I disagree with suspended sentences.  They teach perps nothing.   Not that government should be punishing folks, but look at the matter and what was this youth busted for.  Conditionally, force the guy into whatever health / mental assistance needed to fix his brain and anti-social tendencies.  Because left unaddressed he'll be a 21-25 year old with worse tendencies and inclinations to mess make.

As-is they just gave this guy a love tap and a don't act up for two years carrot. 

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
It a not all about mental health issues...!! Some people are just dicks. Simple.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It a not all about mental health issues...!! Some people are just dicks. Simple.
Yes, but they'll blame that attitude and their actions on their 'condition', ensuring that they themselves are never actually at fault. "Not my fault I did this and said that, it's my condition that I suffer from!"

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
As part of sentencing in most civilized nations, the Court orders mental health assessment to determine what they are dealing with. 

I agree about some people just are what they are.  Fine lines since mental health excuses have been beat and abused about all over for everything.

Young guy first time through such I believe should have intervention ran and tight regulations.  Such should include being made to work and volunteer doing things unrelated to his mass fnckery.  I am fond of ditch digging and manual hard labor to benefit the community in which he resides.  Ideally the neighbors take note and someone at large can mentor the lad.

Goal is to get recidivism likelihood reduced and attempt to to get the guy in a proper path.

souen

Overall, I feel the sentence is fair given he was/is underage, but on condition he attends rehabilitation programs during the two years. This can involve conselling to resolve motivations for doing what he did and being in a camp learning a new skill or putting existing skills to different use, e.g. if he's good at programming, can learn/teach people how to make games. Otherwise root causes go ignored and he'll very likely get into more trouble.

Maybe it was too lenient given the damage caused and given how common DDoSing is these days there's the temptation to make an example of any youth caught doing it. Some people return to communities after jail time at conventional prisons bitter and antagonistic rather than mentally healthy and productive. Probably all the more so for youth, if something like the NASCARZ and similar programs but for IT existed, kids like the chap in question can go learn some respect for the hardware/equipment and the people operating them.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner