amuck-landowner

FiOS customer discovers the limits of

herbyscrub

FIOS is so awesome!  They seem to love giving your more than you're paying for too.  My 75/35 plan gets 90/40 or so for $60.

VPN.SH

Lmao, I'm surprised they're allowing him to just "upgrade" to the business package and continue to use that kind of bandwidth. Fair play to the guy though, if they're offering it, take advantage :p.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Always has to be someone in California who pushes the limits of "unlimited" :p

For real though sounds like Verizon handled it quite politely.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I hated dealing with Verizon reps and techs...

Me - "My internet is out and my modem can't pull an IP from you."

Rep - "Go to verizon.com and let us know when it loads."

Me - "It's not going to load."

Rep - "Do a traceroute to verizon.com and let us know what it says."

Me - "It says I can't get past my router."

Rep - "Are you sure it's your router? What is the IP?"

Me - "My friend just texted me to say there's an outage in our area."

Rep - "Yes there is a network problem in your area. What is the last IP on the traceroute?"

*CLICK*

Me - "Any news on IPv6?"

Tech - "What's that?"

Me - "The replacement for IPv4."

Tech - "Why would they need to replace IPv4?"

Me - "ARIN is running out of IP space."

Tech - "No clue who Aaron is but Verizon just adds more IPs when it needs more, people get IPs from us so we can make them."

*CLICK*

Last edited by a moderator:

DaringHost

I hated dealing with Verizon reps and techs...

Me - "My internet is out and my modem can't pull an IP from you."

Rep - "Go to verizon.com and let us know when it loads."

Me - "It's not going to load."

Rep - "Do a traceroute to verizon.com and let us know what it says."

Me - "It says I can't get past my router."

Rep - "Are you sure it's your router? What is the IP?"

Me - "My friend just texted me to say there's an outage in our area."

Rep - "Yes there is a network problem in your area. What is the last IP on the traceroute?"

*CLICK*

Me - "Any news on IPv6?"

Tech - "What's that?"

Me - "The replacement for IPv4."

Tech - "Why would they need to replace IPv4?"

Me - "ARIN is running out of IP space."

Tech - "No clue who Aaron is but Verizon just adds more IPs when it needs more, people get IPs from us so we can make them."

*CLICK*
Unfortunately this kind of stuff is a growing trend I've found. 

Hiring knowledgeable support costs: $$$

Hiring someone to answer a phone and follow a script costs: $

VPN.SH

@KuJoe Now that's pretty depressing :/. Haven't had to phone up my ISP for support in a good few years, thankfully. Just hoping the same can be said when I move house in a few weeks!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
FIOS *was* a great product.

New VZ CEO is disinterested in rolling any more fiber to home out.  For past 2+ years deployment has all but stopped, except where they are mandated by prior contract to get it done.

VZ pocketed billions over the years in surcharges in a number of states.   The monies in several states were for statewide deployment of such data services, something Verizon isn't even close to achieving.

If you look to New York and the recent hurricane damage, Verizon has refused to re-install copper wiped out by the storm and floods.  Instead they are pushing their wireless services.

At the same time, Verizon is shopping to buy out Vodaphone's ownership interest in Verizon Wireless.

Clear enough the direction and business model of VZ going forward?

You sell me unlimited and then complain?  I'd consider that false advertising and a breech of contract.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Ah well, the best I can do is whatever the local cable co. is willing to offer... (I think the max I could get is about 60 Mbps on business). I would love to at least get 1 TB out sometime just to say I've done it haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It really isn't hard to use some big data.  Just use your waking hours to stream HD video :)  Heck, even audio can start adding up over a month.

I haven't pushed 50TB in a month but certainly have done upwards of 20TB :)   What would that cost if it were over Verizon Wireless?

wilbo

They are trying to limit my Comcast plan to something like 250 or 300 gb a month. I always go over and that is just with Netflix, gaming and regular surfing.  77 TB is a lot,  how many movies can you even watch a month?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
They are trying to limit my Comcast plan to something like 250 or 300 gb a month. I always go over and that is just with Netflix, gaming and regular surfing.  77 TB is a lot,  how many movies can you even watch a month?
Wow.  I barely go over 50GB a month.   

amuck-landowner