amuck-landowner

For those of you using GMail, how often do you backup your mailbox?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Oh... It's never even crossed my mind because, you know, it's google.
Same here. Guess it's probably a good idea, so I'm running a backup now with gmvault. Hope I never have to use it.
Hmm, never thought about that before. Anyway my emails are auto forwarded to my personal mailbox.
Never? I don't really think it's gonna crash. Unless it's the end of the world, that is.
I don't think I have ever backup'ed my main gmail account, and while I would survive if I suddenly lost access to it, there's a lot of valuable data there that I'd rather keep :)
I'll admit I hadn't ever thought of it until this thread. Only 152k more emails to backup using gmvault.
Heh, you see replies like this quite often when it comes to larger players like Google.  It's very easy to look at all of the nifty stuff they produce that works well and just assume "Ah, it's Google, they know what they're doing", and just as easy to forget that 'Google' is just a name.  The techs they employ write the code and run the systems, and people are always fallible.  All it would take is one lazy HR rep hiring on a very incompetent coder, and suddenly you have disaster just waiting to happen.  And being a giant like Google just means the disaster will be of equally giant proportions :p

Hxxx

Why would you need to backup your email? Hopefully nobody here is storing sensitive data in emails...

Thinking of it, like someone above mentioned, Outlook or Thunderbird, let it download via pop3 everything, then backup the account file somewhere else. Me personally I wouldn't do it as the possibilities are very minimum. I mean your corporate email is probably more at risk than your gmail account. Just IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

RosenHost

I saw that gmail deactivation thread on WHT too. This would be my disaster. I ve got so much stored in my Gmail since it came out of Beta. Years of information and communication in there.

I am regularly importing it to a few other mail addresses such as Yandex. Can someone offer me a better way to store my gMail back up ?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I saw that gmail deactivation thread on WHT too. This would be my disaster. I ve got so much stored in my Gmail since it came out of Beta. Years of information and communication in there.

I am regularly importing it to a few other mail addresses such as Yandex. Can someone offer me a better way to store my gMail back up ?
Gmvault is the fastest and easiest way I've found. Restoring e-mails is also quick and painless.

dave

My gmail is forwarded to my main email account and deleted.  I don't like to keep any email on servers;  I keep it and back it up locally.

amuck-landowner