amuck-landowner

Forum search?

dcdan

Verified Provider
Hi everyone,

No matter what search terms I use nothing can be found. Is it just me getting old?

SkylarM

Verified Provider
I noticed this the other day as well, haven't tried since then but just did and seeing the same problem still.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah proper notice should have been made on here, not just Twitter....  It has been several days this issue.

Something busted with Sphinx on a reboot.  Cryptic bug / issue and Mann has been poking at it.

Probably about time to fresh install Sphinx and start over :)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Probably about time for VPSBoard members to file a class action lawsuit against MannDude and the Sphinx Search developers for mental anguish and emotional distress. :p

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Sphinx being busted sure made it a long day for me, yesterday.

Resorted to the old Google track and trace method in seach:

site:vpsboard.com  term_I_want to search

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Sphinx being busted sure made it a long day for me, yesterday.

Resorted to the old Google track and trace method in seach:

site:vpsboard.com  term_I_want to search
Resorted? That's literally the only way I ever search VPSBoard. Sphinx, IP.Board default, whatever. They're all pretty much junk compared to Google with the site: operator.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Resorted? That's literally the only way I ever search VPSBoard. Sphinx, IP.Board default, whatever. They're all pretty much junk compared to Google with the site: operator.
I detest Google.   Good on search like the alaphabet entities wanted, but horrible on data retention, logging, etc.

So...

I just realized that startpage.com (privacy oriented search engine) uses Google (which I knew) and accepts and functions with the site:vpsboard search_term   command....

So now, yeah, that's how I will tiptoe around Gaggle.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Here's my direct link others can use, shortcut, etc.

Code:
https://startpage.com/do/search?q=site:vpsboard.com

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh yeah, sorry. Sort of forgot about this.

Sphinx died after a server reboot and I had to reach out for some assistance. I'll switch it back to the old search method (which sort of sucks) until sphinx is sorted out.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I will try to get this resolved tonight, though for now I have enabled the 'traditional search' which ships stock with IPB, although it's pretty poor.

Sorry about that!

eva2000

Why not add google custom search engine and forum default ? That's what I do for my forums = offer both :)

dcdan

Verified Provider
I personally prefer having a native search function by default (no Google), otherwise how are you going to search for last posts mentioning company names? I know you can play with settings @ google (ie select timeframe for search) but it does not always work as expected.

amuck-landowner