amuck-landowner

FOSS Voip client and howto for Linux?

willie

So I've got a voip account and phone number with vitelity.com and would like to make phone calls from my Linux desktop.

I tried setting up Ekiga but there were some annoying obstacles and the program itself doesn't seem that great.

Does anyone have a favorite FOSS VOIP client, and suggestions about configuring it?

I do NOT want Skype, Google Voice, or anything else involving closed-source clients or advertising-spewing servers.  I'm fine with paid services (no ads) and FOSS.

Thanks!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@willie, with vitelity.com, which package did you opt for?  Was looking at their offerings the other day but couldn't figure it out / wasn't clear about price point --- namely on flat rate monthly calling plan.

In the market for the same software for various devices.

willie

Websearchingpro - thanks, blink looks promising.  I tried installing it on my Fedora 19 desktop and spent hours in dependency hell due to version mismatches etc. but I think I can get it working.  Or I might switch to Debian on the desktop which will hopefully make things easier.

drmike - I went for the cheapest plan, $1.49/month or so for the phone number and something like 1.2 cents per minute for my very low usage.  The flat rate plan is something like $8 a month and is good if you use it a lot.  I set it up some months ago and it seemed straightforward, though maybe they added options or changed something since then.  Right now I just have it forwarded to one of my other phone numbers.  I think that means I pay 1.2 cents a minute for both the inbound and outbound calls during forwarding (2.4 cents a minute total) but it still is very low given my usage.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Since Vitelity is a pre-paid service, an initial $35 pre-paid deposit is required. The $35 will be posted to your account and available for new services such as DIDs (numbers), e911, vFax, etc.
Yikes.  I mean I get it but...  dang... 35 dollars initial deposit?  

Anyways sorry I can't really add too much value to this because i'm also quite oblivious but good luck! 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
$35 deposit... yeah unsure if they are related to another company I looked at with similar looking website... same deposit amount and they only accepted Amazon's payment method... grr....

Raymii

I've used voipbuster with linphone (ekiga) in the past with great success and a local number. Had to forward some ports, but it works great. What do you bot Like about it?

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

I was ok with the $35 upfront Vitelity deposit because I figured I was going to port a phone number or two to them, and they had a $15 or $20 porting fee at the time.  Now they port for free so at $1.49(?) a month for a phone number, I'm covered for a while.  I'm likely to get another number or two, including possibly an international one (those cost more) if I get the software together, so that will burn through the $35 a bit faster.  There was another thread about voip service providers a few months back, that mentioned some alternatives to Vitelity, but I was already signed up with Vitelity when that thread went up.

Raymii, Ekiga looked mostly ok, it just appears geared towards the ekiga.net voip service and it didn't work when I tried it with Vitelity.   Voipbuster appears to be closed source so I'm not interested in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

peterw

I am using justvoip.com which does have a browser client. Working great without installing software.

amuck-landowner