amuck-landowner

Gay marriage (finally) legalized in the US

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
It's not about having the wrong views or opinions. You can't claim someone's opinion is wrong as its exactly that, an opinion.

What I am saying is that it is not a mental illness and this has been the view of the scientific and psychological community for over 20 years. So while you have an opinion, which is good, you have to accept factual information too.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Good for them. I would like to see less PDA though. The nice rule applies as well, be nice and I'll be nice too.

In the matter of homosexuality on a scientific or psychological level, more research is obviously needed to make a better understanding and conclusion as to define what it really is.

My opinion (warning may offend some) is that it's a form of population control since it doesn't contribute to the survival of the species. Yes they can adopt kids, but they can't reproduce amongst each other.

fixidixi

It's always funny to hear such *good* things coming out of the US: :p

- love of peace  :wub:

- tolearance ^_^

etc.

It's always stuff they are referring to as something they already master however the rest of the world is behind em. But moving there for a short while or even living there 15 years most of the ppl told me that there are very few countries with that much aggression and hatred.. ..and about tolerance.. .. .. .. :D so reading through the story what ive relazied that most states already allowed this, and this passed with ~30ish against ~70ish % :

so in my opinion the stuff most ppl are happy about is that ~70ish % of voters could force their will on the rest.

so about that... .. ill shut up now.. :rolleyes:

AuroraZero

This is starting to become a real problem and something is going to have be done about this soon. That flag has nothing to do with slavery at all. It represents something entirely different and if people would educate themselves they would know this and they might actually learn something.

As for the gay right thing, I am a Christian and I believe that what goes behind closed doors is between you and God. I have no right to judge someone for anything. That is His place. The only thing I do not care for is the fact that people think they have throw it my face all the time. I do not go around throughing my religion in people's faces, or my heteorsexuality for matter. I just ask for the same courtoesy in return is all.

I live by two rules when it comes to my religion to love my God with all my heart, body, mind, and soul, and treat my neighbor as I would treat myself. If those two rules do not get violated then I am good with things. I know I can not hold others to this standard, but there is always room for hope. :)

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
This is starting to become a real problem and something is going to have be done about this soon. That flag has nothing to do with slavery at all. It represents something entirely different and if people would educate themselves they would know this and they might actually learn something.

Here is a line-by-line comparison of the US Constitution and the Confederate constitution. Spoiler alert: the CSA constitution is basically a word-for-word ripoff, but with lots of little clauses about the 'right to own slaves'

http://www.jjmccullough.com/CSA.htm

After the civil war the confederate flag mostly disappeared but was repopularized by anti-civil rights movements after WW2 (not a big shocker)

So the flag isn't just about slavery, it's about institutionalized racism

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
One could argue that the US flag represents the genocide and subjugation of the native American populations.

I play Panzer Corps on my iPad.  As a WWII game, not surprisingly, there are plenty of Nazi flags in it.  And there are certainly WWII apps with Imperial Japanese flags.

I'm pretty sure I could find an app with a Belgian flag, which represents a history of cruelty the worst American slave owner could never dream of.

I played an app called Roads of Rome yesterday.  Didn't really care for it, but I don't think anyone would defend the Roman empire as a model of enlightened equality.

The point is that the Confederate flag is history.  We could argue about whether it belongs flying over state capitals but to remove it from a historical wargame is lunacy.  You want to pull an app from the store that is some sick exploitative game where you get to whip slaves or something, fine...but saying "whoa, a Gettysburg simulation is WRONG!" is just nuts.

For pity's sake, how many fantasy games celebrate racism - all that "orcs vs. elves" crap is racism, no?  OMG.

Separately, people have seized on the Confederate flag as an evil and that's absurd.  Yes, slavery was bad.  But that was 150 years ago and in the interim, the Confederate flag has become a popular symbol of the South.  Not everyone who has a pair of stars-and-bars underwear or plays with a General Lee car is a racist.

Of course, the real problem is not the flag but rather reconstruction.  Why did we ever let the conquered peoples of the Southern states back into the Union?  Why aren't Alabamans and Georgians paying me special taxes and doing my yardwork?  Americans don't understand how wars work.

AuroraZero

This is why I rarely say anything. I am certainly not brainwashed. I have my own mind and it just does not happen to agree with what you seem to think it should. Yes maybe at one time the flag was flown for the greater glory of the States that condoned slavery. That much is very true, and yes rascism is very alive today, I will not argue at all. But to ban that flag, and remove a part of the history of this country from history books is censorship. I DO NOT care what you say that is what it is.

Now to be fair about this, and since this all stemmed from that video from the kid that shot up the church, and since he burned an American in said video does that mean we go ahead and ban that one also? Or because Russia was mean to the Ukraine recently does that mean we ban the Russian flag from flying here? When does this stop? Does it stop with just flying the flags? Wait since BinLaden wore a turben let's ban those next right?

See how stupid this all sounds? I do not agree with Neo Nazis or the KKK but they have the right to say and believe how they want. If they take that right away from us it is only a matter of time before the rest fall as well.

I may not agree with what you have to say, or believe, but I will defend your right to say, or believe it to the death.

Don't forget that line when some one tries to take one your rights away and you do not like it. With that I am out of this discussion and will retreat back to my solitude.

Have a wonderful weekend all and God bless. :)

tonyg

But to ban that flag, and remove a part of the history of this country from history books is censorship.
What?

Who is banning the flag from being flown by private citizens?

Who is removing the flag from history books?

Last edited by a moderator:

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Somebody asked for sources on another page. I'll just copy and paste my reply from the same topic on LET.

Mark Regnerus made a famous study, here is an interactive site presenting the results: http://www.familystructurestudies.com/outcomes/ I don't know if it's exactly about children adopted by homosexuals, but it's about children who grew up with a father or mother that had same-sex relationships (and other family structures). as you can imagine, people are bitching about this study, saying it's "flawed", etc. I haven't looked into that.

Regnerus study also says, among other bad outcomes for children growing up with a homosexual parent, that they are significantly more likely to become homosexuals themselves, which is curious indeed

There is also this study: "In research with 942 nonclinical adult participants, [homosexual] men and lesbian women reported a significantly higher rate of childhood molestation than did heterosexual men and women"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11501300

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
There is no gay marriage.  There is no straight marriage.  There is simply marriage.  A union of spouses.  What constitutes a marriage or a spouse is for you to interpret, and other people's interpretations are none of your business, regardless of anything contrary some invisible man might tell you.  If you wish to align your interpretations with those of a group for the sake of community and solidarity, that's perfectly fine.  Your group still cannot force those views on any other unwilling person.

The government's financial system is complex - likely far more than it has to be, but that's a discussion for a different time.  HOWEVER, certain financial rules apply only to unmarried persons, and some apply only to married persons.  Therefore, the government must have a solid definition of what constitutes a marriage - both to clearly define when said rules should apply and to prevent unscrupulous persons from taking advantage of holes in the system.  The government is NOT telling you what is and is not a "real" marriage, they are telling you what they will and will not accept as a "legal" marriage for the purposes of US Law.

This really isn't that hard to grasp, people.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
I never thought the US would change that before Austria/Germany - We are still far from that. Though we have "civil union" and "registered partnership" which gives some of the marriage tax/gov benefits (but not 100% like marriage).

I don't have plans to marry currently (or in the near future), but it'd be nice to have the option.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Your group still cannot force those views on any other unwilling person.
On a related note, there was a case here in Oregon where a bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.  They were in a jurisdiction with an anti-discrimination law (I forget if it was local or state) and so the couple sued and won $250,000 or something outrageous like that.  I say outrageous because the couple suffered no actual damages because there are a hundred other bakeries they could go to, and they did - it's not like their wedding day was ruined.

The bakery went bankrupt and closed.

I thought that was ridiculous.  There are a hundred bakeries in Portland where you could get your cake.  Likewise, I don't think people should be suing photographers who don't want to do gay weddings.

I firmly believe freedom swings both ways.

And yes, I am consistent - I would say the same thing about a shop that discriminated against specific races, for example.  I wouldn't patronize a shop that put up a sign that said "WE DON'T SERVE BLACKS" but I think that's their right.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Perhaps instead of relying on third-hand 'studies', many of which will surely be biased one way or another given how volatile a topic this is, you should conduct your own and learn from the results.  "Collaborated Evidence" on sensitive topics should always be regarded with considerable skepticism, and first-hand study is always the best route to go.

Otherwise, you're doing nothing more than believing what someone else wants you to believe.  Or worse, you're validating only information that already agrees with preformed notions you had beforehand, and using that as a reason to stop.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Yes, of course. However, somebody requested it from me. Either way, if I don't post the sources requested of me, I get flack for that. So I obliged.

Perhaps instead of relying on third-hand 'studies', many of which will surely be biased one way or another given how volatile a topic this is, you should conduct your own and learn from the results.  "Collaborated Evidence" on sensitive topics should always be regarded with considerable skepticism, and first-hand study is always the best route to go.

Otherwise, you're doing nothing more than believing what someone else wants you to believe.  Or worse, you're validating only information that already agrees with preformed notions you had beforehand, and using that as a reason to stop.

Vega

As a gay male, I am happy for this ruling. It's long overdue and America finally reached year 2007.

For the rebel flag thing, can we please ban it. Not even just for the racist connotation but the fact it represents an ideology that had this country divided. There's only one flag I acknowledge and that is the actual United States of America flag.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Oh, true enough, and I wasn't trying to be condescending.  Just speaking from experience on how easy it is to validate your own beliefs by only acknowledging those gathered facts that support it, and ignoring the ones that do not.

Personally, I think it's a bunch of crap.  If molestation was the cause of homosexuality, then contrived excuses would have to be found for every sexual orientation.  I don't think I'd want to hear the one that explains why furries can't be "normal like the rest of us".

amuck-landowner