amuck-landowner

Gay marriage (finally) legalized in the US

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
As a gay male, I am happy for this ruling. It's long overdue and America finally reached year 2007.

For the rebel flag thing, can we please ban it. Not even just for the racist connotation but the fact it represents an ideology that had this country divided. There's only one flag I acknowledge and that is the actual United States of America flag.
That's a little short sighted.  I hope your positing that the LGBT flag be done away with as well, by that logic.  After all, it's representing an ideal that seperates some folks from others.

Vega

That's a little short sighted.  I hope your positing that the LGBT flag be done away with as well, by that logic.  After all, it's representing an ideal that seperates some folks from others.
Sure why not. It's not short-sighted at all. I am an American and I've stood doing my pledge allegiance to that flag(which is asinine but not the topic at hand). When they do the world conference meetings with United Nations, there is no flag for LGBT, Rebels, etc etc you have the US flag.
I acknowledge the official flag because it is our flags. I grew up in the south(before moving north and now west) and I don't see the rebel flag as representing southern pride. I see it representing an antiquated and outdated mindset of people who need to let go of the past so our present and future can be better.

The LGBT flag is not the rebel flag. There is no comparison. For starters, one flag is not tinged in a history of wanting to oppress others(blacks).

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Out of curiosity, where in the South?  I've spent a good bit of time now in SW Louisiana, and out of every individual I've met that sported the old confederate flag in one form or another, I can honestly say that not a single one was a bigot.  And exactly what mindset does having a Confederate flag make you have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Actually, nevermind.  The last line of your last reply just hit me, and I realize now you already have a preconceived notion of everything the Confederate flag stands for in your mind.  We will merely be wasting each others time with discussion, as I highly doubt you're willing to realize you are generalizing just as harshly (and incorrectly) about the ol' rebel flag as many people do against.. gays.  And as beautifully ironic as that is, I doubt any discussion would be meaningful enough to be worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Sure why not. It's not short-sighted at all. I am an American and I've stood doing my pledge allegiance to that flag(which is asinine but not the topic at hand). When they do the world conference meetings with United Nations, there is no flag for LGBT, Rebels, etc etc you have the US flag.

I acknowledge the official flag because it is our flags. I grew up in the south(before moving north and now west) and I don't see the rebel flag as representing southern pride. I see it representing an antiquated and outdated mindset of people who need to let go of the past so our present and future can be better.

The LGBT flag is not the rebel flag. There is no comparison. For starters, one flag is not tinged in a history of wanting to oppress others(blacks).

You want to ban the rebel flag because of its history, and yet one of the flags you want to keep is tinged in a history of being an active participant in the biggest genocide in history that wiped out 10-100 million (depending on which historian you read, death totals include both North and South America) indigenous Americans and oppressed the survivors by turning them into second class citizens in their native land (and according to a 2012 report by the UN Human Rights Council conditions for indigenous Americans continue to be worse than for other ethnic groups in the US).  Interesting.

Using your reasoning for wanting to ban the rebel flag, a case could probably be made for banning every national flag because there is a good chance that at some time in history the people who proudly waved the flag of nation x,y, or z oppressed others or supported their government's oppression of others.

For the rebel flag thing, can we please ban it. Not even just for the racist connotation but the fact it represents an ideology that had this country divided.
I don't see the rebel flag as representing southern pride. I see it representing an antiquated and outdated mindset of people who need to let go of the past so our present and future can be better.
It's ironic that you as a gay male would say that because the desire to dictate how others should act and think (what "mindset" is permissible) is exactly the same mindset that anti-LGBT groups have used over the years to try to prevent LGBT people from enjoying life as LGBT people, and it is the same flawed reasoning that other groups have used over the years to try to stifle political dissent, suppress minority viewpoints, and justify discrimination against others. 

Vega

You want to ban the rebel flag because of its history, and yet one of the flags you want to keep is tinged in a history of being an active participant in the biggest genocide in history that wiped out 10-100 million (depending on which historian you read, death totals include both North and South America) indigenous Americans and oppressed the survivors by turning them into second class citizens in their native land (and according to a 2012 report by the UN Human Rights Council conditions for indigenous Americans continue to be worse than for other ethnic groups in the US).  Interesting.

Using your reasoning for wanting to ban the rebel flag, a case could probably be made for banning every national flag because there is a good chance that at some time in history the people who proudly waved the flag of nation x,y, or z oppressed others or supported their government's oppression of others.

It's ironic that you as a gay male would say that because the desire to dictate how others should act and think (what "mindset" is permissible) is exactly the same mindset that anti-LGBT groups have used over the years to try to prevent LGBT people from enjoying life as LGBT people, and it is the same flawed reasoning that other groups have used over the years to try to stifle political dissent, suppress minority viewpoints, and justify discrimination against others.
As a gay male, It's not ironic at all. When did Racism/ignorance become permissible exactly? It's kind of why we have laws to protect minorities? The LGBT community is nothing like or remotely similar to the supporters of the rebel flag. On any grounds.

amuck-landowner