amuck-landowner

Get your own /64 IPv6 network without the help of your provider

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Might be silly of me asking this, has anyone tried using this for a hostnode? I'mean configuring the IPV6 subnet via solusvm and offering it to clients?
Please test the connection. Some tunnel nodes are overrun at some times.

A reason why some people add the following line to  /etc/gai.conf

Code:
precedence ::ffff:0:0/96  100

wlanboy

Content Contributer
How reliable is this? How can I know for sure I still have the same ip in a few months?
HE.NET will not die and they keep services running (not like Google).

I am using this service (three tunnels) for over one year without probelms.

Support is nice (but a little slow - big corp).

With the help of the support I was able to move one of my tunnels to a new IP (client IPv4) because I was moving a vps from one provider to another one.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
o_O  Why would you offer something to your clients that could be yanked away at any time, without warning? >_>
Yup - I want to be able to handle the tunnel myself because I am able to choose the provider and the tunnel endpoint myself.

maounique

Using HE BGP with own router in Dallas since we gave up on Incero. I works really good given the circumstances (only had one outage), but that is with our own IPs.

Amitz

You are no longer with Incero in Dallas? What did I miss?

Last edited by a moderator:

coreyman

Verified Provider
o_O  Why would you offer something to your clients that could be yanked away at any time, without warning? >_>
Any ip address can be yanked away at any time without warning can't it? I thought Arin and many other RIR's said we do not own ip addresses we just rent them.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Any ip address can be yanked away at any time without warning can't it? I thought Arin and many other RIR's said we do not own ip addresses we just rent them.
The chances of our justified, ARIN-assigned IP space being 'yanked away' is slim to none.  My comment was directed towards the... provider.. that had the idea of signing up for some random v6 tunnelling service, issuing the IPs to their clients, and hoping for the best.

switsys

The chances of our justified, ARIN-assigned IP space being 'yanked away' is slim to none.  My comment was directed towards the... provider.. that had the idea of signing up for some random v6 tunnelling service, issuing the IPs to their clients, and hoping for the best.
Except that it isn't 'random'. HE's tunneling service is as stable as it gets.

And I for one think it's a nice gesture by 'kvmshell.com' to help their not so tech savvy customers to set up a tunnel.

Neo

I forwarded Port 41 on my router, but still dosent works, any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

agentmishra

just to experiment, i tried to add a /64 ipv6 from tunnelbroker in my kimsufi which has a /128 ipv6 by default.

but did not get success...

when i add the details as per tunnelbroker

and do this --- /etc/init.d/networking restart

i get this error...

[warn] Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not re-enable some interfaces ... (warning). [....] Reconfiguring network interfaces...RTNETLINK answers: File exists Failed to bring up eth0. RTNETLINK answers: File exists RTNETLINK answers: File exists done.

the new ipv6 shown up in the ifconfig able to ping the ipv6 set from within the box.

but unable to ping the new ipv6 ips from outside the box...

i am using debian7.0 as os...

any help would be appreciated

thanks

wlanboy

Content Contributer
and do this --- /etc/init.d/networking restart

i get this error...

[warn] Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may not re-enable some interfaces ... (warning). [....] Reconfiguring network interfaces...RTNETLINK answers: File exists Failed to bring up eth0. RTNETLINK answers: File exists RTNETLINK answers: File exists done.
Restart sometimes has issues....

Try:

Code:
sudo invoke-rc.d networking stop ; sudo invoke-rc.d networking start

amuck-landowner