amuck-landowner

Getting a new laptop today

libro22

1366x768 is small but fine most of the time. My Lenovo had this resolution, the specs were great at that time and it was really compact. I was able to play great games on that machine. Sadly, it died only after three years. I bought a desktop instead, with SSD and bigger RAM :D

I'm planning on getting Thinkpad this December, I find it portable and easy to carry. Any reviews on that?

Zach

Verified Provider
Here's what I'm on right now and have zero issues running anything (aside from most games):

Lenovo E520 Thinkpad

Intel Core i3 2350

6GB DDR3 1333Mhz(?)

64GB ADATA SSD

It's a 15" screen running 1366x768, and personally I find that to be more than enough for getting work done.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Wi-fi card seems to be dead already. I'm probably going to return this one to Best Buy and get another unit of the same model. Hopefully that will fix all the issues I'm having (wi-fi, mousepad, loose key). I would be worried about the soundness of the model itself, but there are lots of positive reviews on Best Buy and none of them mention the Wi-fi or mousepad issues, so I'm assuming I just got a dud. The Wi-fi card is a solid Intel Centrino card, and the mousepad seems to be Synaptics, so they should both be good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
I believe it. Lots of cost cutting going on in the industry and quality control has gone out the window in many places.

In your store, how much of sales percent on notebooks do you think is HP?

I always recommend reading reviews and not from general places like Best Buy before major purchases.
I take it you're trying to make the point that he'd need to normalize the number of failures against the number of sales across each manufacturer for the information to be useful?

Anecdotally, me and a friend both bought HP laptops around the same time, both had a lot of overheating problems and died pretty quickly. I'm currently using a Gigabyte U2442F-CF2, although with a 256GB SSD. Lightweight, no heat/noise issues even when stressing it, discrete card is good enough to game on, good battery life if you're using the integrated card and 1600x900 isn't a bad compromise as far as resolution goes. The touchpad isn't Synaptics, though, which has made getting synclient-based features working under LInux a PITA.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
HP should be broke. Many of their business areas have evaporated in the past decade. Q4 2012, HP brought in $30 billion and still posted a big fat loss. Hardly dead or broke though. Almost $120 billion went through HP in sales in 2012. http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/hpq/financials
They've had like 5 CEOs over something like 6 or 7 5 (holy shit) years, each one slowly grinding the company into the ground

amuck-landowner