amuck-landowner

GreenValueHost forced password reset - Security breach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
See if you're going to throw cloak and dagger crap around, don't bother posting. Either give the information out or say nothing. All you're doing is making yourself look incompetent because no decent admin would put that kind of pish on their own website.
It was just more of a reassuring statement, I apologize, they are an active member in this community and I would not want to risk their anonymity. I'd rather not be hassled by them when they see their name :). The information is freely out there, just have to dig it up. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Wow, I just woke up. Read all of this thread. Read all of the LET thread. How is no one there concerned?

"La la la. I keep getting these emails, LOL!! La la la! Doo do doo"

I'd say it's quite worth being worried about.

AuroraZero

Wow, I just woke up. Read all of this thread. Read all of the LET thread. How is no one there concerned?

"La la la. I keep getting these emails, LOL!! La la la! Doo do doo"

I'd say it's quite worth being worried about.
They are not concerned because they know GVH will just throw some free services at them for the inconvience. Everyone loves free stuff. They have not realized that this is the wake up call I have seen coming for months. Not just for them but for a lot of other companies as well if they do not change their setups. This is not a game no matter how many people think it is at this time.

Not trying to be an ass or anything but it is the truth.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Comically there is no WHT thread regarding this. Was it only LET customers who got their passwords reset?..

Someone should post on WHT too and let it be known that GVH customers probably need to secure their data.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
No it was not a security breach. Client data is completely safe and has not been leaked. We will have a final statement sent out regarding this issue soon.
What was it then?  I'd be dying to hear your analysis.

hellogoodbye

I'm a former client (canceled sometime in early March) and I didn't receive any emails about my password being reset, just the one email that was sent out informing people they were investigating the issue. Is this only happening to people with active services?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I'm a former client (canceled sometime in early March) and I didn't receive any emails about my password being reset, just the one email that was sent out informing people they were investigating the issue. Is this only happening to people with active services?
It seems that the actual resets are happening to clients at random - which pretty much just reinforces the idea that it was someone running wild with a compromised staff account.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Is this only happening to people with active services?
Apparently not. Someone else mentioned it had happened to them, and they were not a customer at all.

Also the lack of chatter on WHT would indicate it wasn't system wide, but instead isolated to groups.

hellogoodbye

That's interesting... the timing is quite odd too, I remember at some point last night there was an onslaught of old GVH threads being dug up over at LET by a few members who I guess was taking the "LET = GVH" joke too far. I don't see most of those threads anymore so I'm assuming the admins stepped in and cleaned it up/doled out punishment where necessary. This might just all be coincidence, but could there possibly be a connection between the two?

serverian

Verified Provider
That's interesting... the timing is quite odd too, I remember at some point last night there was an onslaught of old GVH threads being dug up over at LET by a few members who I guess was taking the "LET = GVH" joke too far. I don't see most of those threads anymore so I'm assuming the admins stepped in and cleaned it up/doled out punishment where necessary. This might just all be coincidence, but could there possibly be a connection between the two?
Yeah, me and Spencer did it!

hellogoodbye

No really they did.  Dragging up threads that is, not sending password resets ;)
Ahh gotcha. In that case I wasn't too sure who started it, though my guess was @serverian since I noticed the banned user icon when I was skimming through the updated threads just now.

Last edited by a moderator:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I'm horrified/amused that this site exists: http://www.gvhtalk.com 

"Now that GreenValueHost has finally reached the point of stability inside and out..."

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Let's keep this on topic if possible and discuss the likely GVH security breach. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner