amuck-landowner

Hello PHP 5.6.0

Yep saw it this morning.  Guess we'll see this in cPanel in about 1.5 years at which point it will remain in "testing" for 6 months or more.
Do you realize that in software engineering there's such a thing called 'it's too soon for a release'? Look at the nightmare people went through for demanding PHP 5.x when they were stuck on 4.x, only to upgrade and find it broke their applications due to sudden API changes, deprecated features and other changes

I would never immediately post a new version of a product I use inside of my own unless time has passed and any 'bugs' with a minor version change are addressed.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
Do you realize that in software engineering there's such a thing called 'it's too soon for a release'? Look at the nightmare people went through for demanding PHP 5.x when they were stuck on 4.x, only to upgrade and find it broke their applications due to sudden API changes, deprecated features and other changes

I would never immediately post a new version of a product I use inside of my own unless time has passed and any 'bugs' with a minor version change are addressed.
I'm by no means pressing for an immediate release...just stating how cPanel is insanely slow at keeping software up-to-date while their competitors can have it reasonably stable in a much shorter time frame.

And I stand by cPanel, watching for post-release bugs and waiting for a minor version change is much more efficient than heeding to the demands of the masses who think 'newer is better' but can't read a changelog or wonder why their drupal/WP/Joomla/et al is broken with a newer version of PHP.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
This isnt like 4->5 (object rework) or 5.2->5.3 (namespaces). Its not as major, it shouldn't be too backwards incompatible.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Glad to see some of the interesting RFC's made it into 5.6

Particularly the "..." operator will probably result in reasonable speed improvements to alot of software that provides user modification or modularity (modules, hooks etc - think wordpress, phpbb etc). As well as improvements in alot of array manipulation cases.

For those who dont know you can see some of the proposed features for later versions by checking out the RFC page on the wiki: https://wiki.php.net/rfc

amuck-landowner