amuck-landowner

Help building low-power server with e-sata raid

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I bought a ZBOX Mini PC and added a old 128GB SSD and a old 4 GB of RAM. Perfect setup for a small Windows-alike plattform.
Main purpose is a running Windows 2012 R2 server for .Net / AD / IIS stuff. I really like the fan-less build and the low-power footprint of this bare-bone.

But I would like to add a SATA based raid with two 512GB Sata3 drives (which are currently idling on my desk). The box does have an external e-Sata port so my guess would be that it might be possible to connect "something" on that port that would be able to handle 2 or 3 SATA drives. But I did not find anything below my hobby-190$-limit.

Sharkoon does have a e-Sata raid box: https://en.sharkoon.com/product/1689/11353 but that is a oversized 5-bay solution. Maybe someone is allready working with a low-budget Raid-1 solution.

TheLinuxBug

Well, on a real big budget iirc @TheLinuxBug mentioned on his ARM device post that he's using a software raid card that's was basically a port multiplier. 

I think this was the one: http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Internal-Multiplier-Mounting-SY-PCI40037/dp/B0056HNROI

Can you use something like that?  

Quick correction; The SYBA JMB393 is actually self-contained storage processor chip which completely frees up the main CPU loading, and is not software raid based.  It can be used as a port multiplier or a RAID card based on the configuration you used for it.  I currently use it as a raid5 controller for 5x2TB SATA on my pcDuino Nano A20 as it is limited to a single SATA port.

Before I add anything else though, I just want to mention it is SATA II and will likely not work for your needs (SATA 3, I am assuming you want 6Gb/s while this only supports 3Gb/sec).

If all you wanted was to add additional storage (which doesn't look to be the case here) you could also just get a $25 SATA II port multiplier off of ebay (dont have a link currently but if you search you will find it quickly).

I can't currently think of something to offer for your needs as honestly I have built most of my storage solutions my self, so I haven't looked much at the Pre-built NAS boxes that are out there.  I think @KuJoe has messed with a few though? Could be wrong...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLinuxBug

Was looking around and found two board which I thought may be interesting for this thread: 

LeMaker Cello($299.00 & still need to purchase DDR3 Ram)  and the NVIDIA JETSON TK1 ($192.99 w 2GB Ram)

LeMaker Cello

SoC

AMD Opteron A1100 Series

CPU

Quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 64 bit

DRAM

Two DDR3 SO-DIMM sockets

SATA

Two SATA ports

USB

Two USB 3.0 ports

Console

USB-micro port for console support

Ethernet

1 GBe Ethernet

PCIe

x16 PCIe G3 slot

JTAG

10-Pin JTAG headers

Expansion Interface

Linaro 96Bords Expansion slot

Dimension

Standard 160 x 120 mm 96Boards Enterprise Edition form factor

Weight

500g

The LeMaker Cello main board is scheduled to ship in Q2 of 2016.

It will however have Usb 3.0 AND SATA w/ Gigabit Nic and DDR3 sockets so potential for a reasonable amount of memory (more than the 1-2GB we have been seeing I would hope).

NVIDIA JETSON TK1

Model

Brand

NVIDIA

Model

940-7R375-0001-000

Combo Type

Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo

Bundle

CPU

NVIDIA 4-Plus-1 quad-core ARM Cortex A15 CPU

Memory

2GB memory with 64 bit width
16GB 4.51 eMMC memory

Expansion Slots

Mini Card Slots

1 x Half mini-PCIE

Storage Devices

SATA

1 x SATA

Onboard Video

Onboard Video Chipset

NVIDIA Kepler GPU with 192 CUDA cores

Onboard Audio

Audio Chipset

Realtek ALC5639

Onboard LAN

LAN Chipset

Realtek RTL8111GS

LAN Speed

10/100/1000Mbps

Rear Panel Ports

COM

1 x RS232 serial port

HDMI

1 x HDMI

USB 3.0

1 x USB 3.0

Audio Ports

2 Ports

Internal I/O Connectors

Other Connectors

1 x Full size SD/MMC connector
1 x JTAG
1 x 12V DC Power

The following signals are available through an expansion port
-DP/LVDS
-Touch SPI 1x4 + 1x1 CSI-2
-GPIOs
-UART
-HSIC
-i2c

Both include real SATA on board and USB 3.0 and would be great for a server solution you could probably trust (more than a $15 board maybe :) ).

Cheers!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Definitely interesting boards.  However, pricing on these has them up above Intel complete NUC and J1900 type boards with full cases and all.

Not kicking either effort, just unsure if the value is there to justify those asking prices or even 50% of such.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Quick correction; The SYBA JMB393 is actually self-contained storage processor chip which completely frees up the main CPU loading, and is not software raid based.  It can be used as a port multiplier or a RAID card based on the configuration you used for it.  I currently use it as a raid5 controller for 5x2TB SATA on my pcDuino Nano A20 as it is limited to a single SATA port.

I'd be interested in build notes / photos on your A20 + 5 drive setup.

How long have you been running it and how reliable has it been so far?

amuck-landowner