amuck-landowner

Hey MannDude! How was the rebirth behind the scenes...?

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Because I'm curious:

(1) So vpsBoard moved from IPB to XenForo. Why? I know you've groaned about IPB (and I have some negative stories of my own time adminning it) but I'm curious what specifically drove the move.

(2) I'm sure XenForo sells/offers a converter but still...I'm amazed it actually worked...!? Site looks pretty flawless to me. How hard was the conversion?

BTW, the site flies now. Really speedy.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Verified Provider
(1) So vpsBoard moved from IPB to XenForo. Why? I know you've groaned about IPB (and I have some negative stories of my own time adminning it) but I'm curious what specifically drove the move.

IPB is slow and clunky. v4 basically sent it into a death spiral like vB 4.x did to it years ago.

(2) I'm sure XenForo sells/offers a converter but still...I'm amazed it actually worked...!? Site looks pretty flawless to me. How hard was the conversion?

They do have a converter and it made a lot of the work go smoothly. Importing users, threads, posts, was all a breeze. I did have to completely rebuild the permission system, but other than that it honestly went pretty smoothly.

PS - I did the conversion ;)

BTW, the site flies now. Really speedy.

Then the end goal was accomplished :D

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yeah, I wasn't going to touch the conversion.

I liked IPB pre 3.4.x

All this 4.0.x stuff makes me want to hammer my testicles with a wooden mallet. The admin area was completely redesigned and basic stuff that was once there, very helpful and useful stuff, now gone.

Basically they just made it way too user friendly on the backend side of things. Their support went down hill as well. A lot of users complained and blamed IPB upgrades as one of the reasons they stopped coming as much. It was just a headache to work with.

Now, XF doesn't have the prettiest admin area either but it sure has more admin features and runs fast.

Last edited:

arussell

They do have a converter and it made a lot of the work go smoothly. Importing users, threads, posts, was all a breeze. I did have to completely rebuild the permission system, but other than that it honestly went pretty smoothly.

Good to know there's a way to get data out of IPB safely (and mostly intact!)

amuck-landowner