amuck-landowner

Holiday 2015 "Special" Purchase Regret Confession Thread

GIANT_CRAB

I use the ARM stuff still for servers.  All CLI.

Due to general distro issues with one board I have here I have an Ubuntu desktop running.  It works actually pretty good... Good enough that I've considered using it a second terminal for random things like browsing.  That's on a 2GB of RAM quad core board mind you...

I picked up a Pi Zero at higher price just cause.  Waiting for it to arrive.  I am keen on different form factors.  I like this Pi Zero form factor and want to experiment with stacking them and some concepts.  For now, it's going to USB tether to another ARM device.  That idea of USB-everything is my new kick, we'll see if the power envelope can handle it.

I avoid using Ubuntu due to the privacy issues they had. You might wanna take a look at running Fedora on ARM. There's also a Fedora Remix named Pidora which runs pretty well on Raspberry Pi.

There are plenty of things to explore with ARMs. Proves that things can run without LEGs; as long as they got ARMs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Buying the higher level apple watch but getting it with the sports band. 

I thought it felt better then the other bands but after a while it just irritates my arm.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I ordered one of these:

Banana Pi R1 (BPi-R1)

This is to free up my Odroid - reclaim it as thin client perhaps. More likely it will just be a slim distro with desktop to offset the crazy power hungry workstation I have on 24/7 in other office. :)

The BPi-R1 will be running my gateway.  Rules, blocked stuff, filtering, DNS, VPS, etc...

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Arrived yesterday, haven't had a change to play with them yet or do any tests. :(

Raspberry Pi 2, Banana Pi Pro
ODroid C1, ODroid C1+, ODroid U2

arm_devices.jpg

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Teehee! @KuJoe and what was the tab on that?  Way under $500 right?

The U2 I have here - always mess up the model number.  Great unit there. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I avoid using Ubuntu due to the privacy issues they had. You might wanna take a look at running Fedora on ARM. There's also a Fedora Remix named Pidora which runs pretty well on Raspberry Pi.

There are plenty of things to explore with ARMs. Proves that things can run without LEGs; as long as they got ARMs. ;)

The privacy issue = baking Amazon into the desktop :) ?  They're doing a current 180 degree turn on that bad choice.

I'll give Pidora a look.   Still partial to the Debian family since there is so much how-to out there that just works.

GIANT_CRAB

The privacy issue = baking Amazon into the desktop :) ?  They're doing a current 180 degree turn on that bad choice.

I'll give Pidora a look.   Still partial to the Debian family since there is so much how-to out there that just works.

Privacy issues aside, Ubuntu founder is also not very directly - keep giving very long answers to questions regarding features, which in the end doesn't really answer the question well. (Answers are typically like "maybe" instead of just direct yes/no) I find this quite annoying.

Not through a direct experience but was told this by someone who had long years working at Red Hat. Of course, there might be some bias-ness.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
A STM32 F1 series microcontroller. 
Still have too less 3.3V sensors, BT boards, Wlan boards, ...

amuck-landowner