amuck-landowner

houston servers

Tactical

Where is the beer!
I was wondering if anyone would rent a dedicated server in level 3's data center in Houston tx? I was looking at pricing of  60 dollars for:  dual 5420 24 gigs ram 2x500 soft raid 1 100mbits un metered.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Houston would be expensive for bandwidth while dallas is competitively cheaper. But 100mbps unmetered would cost ~70-100/mo for colo only.

Tactical

Where is the beer!
Sorry for the confusion here. I should have said that i have a 1/4 rack in houston texas. I will be offering dedicated servers for around 60 dollars for:

dual l5420 24 gigs ram 2x500 soft raid 1 100mbits un metered

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Level-3 is rather pricey.  Not really compatible with the low priced servers, typically.

I'd be wary of Houston due to hurricane/storm potential.

Dallas is popular instead, but you get hit with Dallas County annual colo gear tax (which I have yet to resolve --- $150 for an old 1U server there as the annual tax).

Plano has some provider options and certainly more in the Dalls metroplex that aren't in Dallas County.

Oplink which is Houston, but 90 miles from coast has some really low colo rates.  Unsure what their current network blend is.

http://oplink.net/colocation.html

Zach

Verified Provider
Sorry for the confusion here. I should have said that i have a 1/4 rack in houston texas. I will be offering dedicated servers for around 60 dollars for:

dual l5420 24 gigs ram 2x500 soft raid 1 100mbits un metered
Oh I see, your OP sounded like you were looking to buy a dedicated server.  :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I no longer work for URPad, nor do I know how their new Houston location is but I do know they just went live there. Root Level Technology, the company that now owns URPad has a cage there that they're now offering stuff out of including dedicated servers.

Bandwidth is Level 3, Cognet and Alpheus.

May be worth checking out. Unsure of the exact facility it is in, you'd have to ask them.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Anyone with experience with colocating/hosting in houston with hurricanes? I imagine that would be a possible issue.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Anyone with experience with colocating/hosting in houston with hurricanes? I imagine that would be a possible issue.
That's why non-Houston locations in Texas are much more popular.  The latency to Dallas or Austin is really low.

Dealing with hurricanes, potential damage/loss, etc. just isn't a prudent way to run a business.  Houston is known for hurricane potential, so seems like a mighty big risk to take to say rather little.  Just ask the folks who got hit in the NYC mega storm back in November.  A few datacenters ended up offline with large amounts of damage due to basement and vault flooding. 

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I no longer work for URPad, nor do I know how their new Houston location is but I do know they just went live there. Root Level Technology, the company that now owns URPad has a cage there that they're now offering stuff out of including dedicated servers.

Bandwidth is Level 3, Cognet and Alpheus.

May be worth checking out. Unsure of the exact facility it is in, you'd have to ask them.
Alpheus is a strong regional provider -- a solid choice for sure.

amuck-landowner