amuck-landowner

How cheap can they go?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It's neat to see more and more devices like this, but what I am really interested in is affordable devices with more power.

Can still do a lot with 1Ghz and 512MB of memory, and I'm sure there are applications where this would be better than whatever Pi model is closest to it (due to size) but at this point I want a small device with 2GB+ RAM and multiple CPU cores.

It's pretty cool though that it has a battery and the small size makes it practical for small spaces. I'd like to see an RPI style pi-cam for it and it'd all fit nicely in a small and discreet enclosure.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Aside from $9 intended target, I have not much interest in it.  I'd buy 5 just to have them and use for randomness.  Maybe they'll make good thin clients?

I am waiting for more feature packed ARM stuff.  Better drive interfaces, ability to actually move data at a respectable speed, etc.   Right now ARM stuff out there works, but most of it is pretty limited.

I want more cores and more RAM and more on device eMMC or similar storage for booting.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@drmike there are such ARM boards, but none of them is anywhere close to $9.
Oh there are so many ARM boards I can't keep track of them :)  Once you get up north of $100 for a feature packed ARM board the cost doesn't make sense... well usually... 

Anything you can recommend to me @rds100?  Cubietruck, yes, long on the list - need to find someone with one to see how they actually perform....

... and I said about $9 price point being nuts... and not seeing it happen... well $29 settop box shipping now with quad core + quad video core ... from Unuiga.

- pretty amazing what is coming out of China on the ARM device side.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Wow, it's a nice device for $9. I wonder how they can sustain such a low price.
That price point will only be achievable if they're able to raise enough funding to purchase all the required components in bulk. Prices of things are reduced greatly when you buy them by the pallet.

SentinelTower

That price point will only be achievable if they're able to raise enough funding to purchase all the required components in bulk. Prices of things are reduced greatly when you buy them by the pallet.
Well, it seems that their objective is already reached on Kickstarter. But still, $9 is quite impressive for all the features that the board packs. I wonder how it compares to the RPi.

amuck-landowner