amuck-landowner

How do you like your steak cooked?

lbft

Well done. Nice and dark brown on the outside and no pink left in the middle. Yum.

*prepares for shitstorm*

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I used to work in a steakhouse. You'd be suprised by how many people would order a steak extra well done. If I worked an 8 hour shift, I'd get 2 or 3 orders for one of those. At first, I'd make a welldone steak and cook it a little extra. Send it out. I've had them returned with the instructions given to me to 'burn it'. So I'll cook it for an additional couple minutes on each side on a open fire grill and send it back out charred. That was what they wanted.

I've also had people order steaks so rare that they were bloody as hell. They'd literally just want the sear marks from the grill on it. Like... 60 seconds cooked on each side. If temped out, they'd be like 65 degrees in the middle. Fucking gross.

Last edited by a moderator:

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
Guys most of the stuff you think is blood is Myoglobulin(sp?) it sounds worse than blood but its not. So if you are eating a well steak due to the blood you may rest a bit easier.

I was a well done eater most of my life but when I started cooking instead of eating out I learned my lesson. I generally get 'medium well" when I eat out because most places will not get temps right.

A medium steak has a nice flavor,oil, salt, pepper not much else needed.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I will usually order Steak medium-rare from a steakhouse, possibly medium from somewhere else but I rarely eat steak from regular restaurants as they do not age the meat which I believe to be the most essential part of the process.  

If you're ever in Tampa/Central FL, try to make a stop at Berns.  It is probably one of the best steakhouses in the entire country and reasonably affordable, depending on what you order.  Additionally if you're a wine junkie, they've got something like 20,000 bottles, some being as old as the 1700's.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
yNSz3os1.jpg

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I will usually order Steak medium-rare from a steakhouse, possibly medium from somewhere else but I rarely eat steak from regular restaurants as they do not age the meat which I believe to be the most essential part of the process.  

If you're ever in Tampa/Central FL, try to make a stop at Berns.  It is probably one of the best steakhouses in the entire country and reasonably affordable, depending on what you order.  Additionally if you're a wine junkie, they've got something like 20,000 bottles, some being as old as the 1700's.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/
Probably the best restaurant meat I had was Lawry's in Vegas, but I got a primerib with some other goodies and several gin-cocktails. Was a nice place, but not my style.

That steakhouse you linked to... Mmm, looks good.

I forget what it was called, but it looks like really thin sliced pepperoni... but it's raw/cold beef. Had some of that on a cruise last year and despite thinking I'd not like it, it was damn good. Forget what it's called though... I know its a pricey treat.

drserver

Verified Provider
Every steak is good steak...

My definition of steak is really nice bloody peace of meat, enjoyable with bottle of two of cabernet sauvignon, chateaubriand preferred, but i like beef wellington also... 

clarity

I forget what it was called, but it looks like really thin sliced pepperoni... but it's raw/cold beef. Had some of that on a cruise last year and despite thinking I'd not like it, it was damn good. Forget what it's called though... I know its a pricey treat.
Beef Carpaccio?

Kakashi

Verified Provider
I used to like it 'well done'. Annoyed my work mates no end. I've since seen the errors of my ways and medium-rare all the way.

marlencrabapple

Depends on who's preparing it and what kind of steak it is. If I bought something expensive and am preparing ti myself, I like it medium rare to medium. Same goes for expensive restauraunts. Anything else is medium well, or another dish entirely. Why eat a terrible steak when you could eat a decent burger?

cubixcloud

Verified Provider
I typically like my steaks well done. But I order it as so, "Well done, but NOT burnt". It almost always comes back just the way I like it. If they know what they are doing then it will not be dry otherwise they have to try again.

earl

I like it close to charcoal, only thing red I like to see on my steak is ketchup! I think a lot of chefs find this insulting..lol.

amuck-landowner