amuck-landowner

How do you like your VPSes?

mojeda

We all know that some things might need a bit beefier VPS than others, but what is your general go-to specs for a VPS?

If I'm in need of something temporary/quick I will generally go for:

KVM

1GB RAM

20-50GB Storage

SSD

Debian

3TB B/W

This is not a market study.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
KVM is nice, but I tend to just take OpenVZ, ideally with slew of modules enabled by default.

256MB instances are good by me.  Some spots 128MB.

Drives, I want RAID 10 and a big chunk of disk (50GB or more).  I detest the puny disk allocations.

Debian, yes.

1TB of bandwidth or more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Depends on what I'm using it for.  I have a handful of 'minimal' spec VMs, and a couple of larger ones to run more intensive tasks.  Pretty much always KVM, though - don't care much for OpenVZ.

tonyg

KVM

256-512 RAM

SSD

Debian 7x86

IPv4 + IPV6

the rest don't really matter to me...well, of course, a proper provider.

Dylan

512MB of RAM is my go-to default now, mostly thanks to the influx of hourly-billing providers.

RAID yes, 15GB is usually plenty of storage though most providers give more than that so it's usually a non-issue.

I know in most cases I'll never come close to using it all but I prefer at least a terabyte of bandwidth to be safe.

I don't have a strong preference on the type of virtualization... the list of providers I'll use is very small and only includes ones I trust not to do crazy overselling. Most of the time OpenVZ is just fine (or possibly even better for simple stuff like hosting).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
If it's just a dev VPS, probably an OpenVZ server with 512MB or less of RAM. That's plenty of resources that I don't really have to optimize anything and the rest isn't important. If it's for dev, probably not using a ton of space or BW.

For production, I like to go KVM where possible and do more in terms of optimization. In production, I run larger servers even though they typically use less resources under load than their dev counterpart. Just more room and resources for growth and random spikes and what not.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Ideally I'm looking for 512MB RAM. Like @MannDude said, it's big enough that I don't have to worry about optimization. Disk and bandwidth sizes don't matter that much to me since I never use much of either. As a minimum, though, in terms of disk I might say 10GB SSD, 20GB HDD. Gigabit port is nice, but not all that important. IPv6 is a must. As for KVM vs. OpenVZ, I prefer OpenVZ for dev mostly due to its simplicity. One click OS (re)install and overall easy access to the container through SolusVM (including changing the password). Only thing is OpenVZ can't do a proper /64 of IPv6. Final thing is that the provider should have Ubuntu available - at least 12.04, preferably 14.04.

Exception is DNS servers. I have five, and I'm happy enough with them at 128MB. Some say BIND needs a lot of memory, but that's not true in my (admittedly limited) experience. I have one DNS server with plenty of memory in case an influx in traffic causes BIND to consume more resources, but most of my DNS boxes are 128MB. 100mbit is fine, Ubuntu 12.04 is preferred, disk space doesn't matter at all.

kcaj

Minimum 20GB disk space. (Preferably SSD)

Minimum 512MB RAM.

Minimum 4TB bandwidth (Unless free-inbound is available where 2TB will be sufficient)

Prefer 1Gb/s connections with the host node connected at something higher.

wcypierre

It used to be 1gb of RAM but I've noticed that most of my things requires just 512mb or lesser for it to work

10gb of diskspace

512mb RAM

500gb of bandwidth

1gbps of port speed

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Disk space is always priority for me, followed by bandwidth. I can deal with small amount of RAM and CPU for a lot of my projects

k0nsl

Bad Goy
128MB ones, a few GB HDD space, whatever CPU speed...as they're likely to be for IRC anyway. But for other stuff, I will of course need beefier specs (1GB ram at least, 10GB HDD/SSD - et cetera). It really all depends on the application, of course.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
The specs differ on the usage but for easy using it is about:

>= 128 MB of RAM

>= 2 CPU cores

>= 20 GB of disk space

>= 100 GB of transfer

I want to use the vps for all major tasks.

Don't want to order a new one just because I cannot compile Ruby or cannot install a server because I am out of RAM / diskspace.

Nowadays I do have about 10 GB of data on a node so a few GBs for OS and libs and I am out of disk space.

Not able to store some files for shareing.

CPUs and transfer is suitable for my major tasks so it is about RAM and disk space.

I have vps with 80 GB to 500 GB of disc space and do have vps from 96 MB to 1024 MB of RAM.

But must of them are from 128 MB to 256 MB.

amuck-landowner