amuck-landowner

How do you make custom OpenVZ templates?

vpsnewb

It'd be cool to learn how to make my own custom OpenVZ templates for particular configs (LAMP/LEMP stacks) as well as compiled with software already like cPanel, Kloxo, Webmin, zPanel, etc, etc.

Anyone have a good guide?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Honestly the best way (atleast for me) was to use the OpenVZ Wiki as the starting point. 

http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Templates

For example, looking into CentOS 6, its just a few commands and then packaging it up.  

Personally, I'd use a combination of the OpenVZ Wiki and the TurnkeyLinux's "clean" templates to make my own.  

If there is a better guide, I'd totally appreciate it too! 

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Personally, I find the easiest way to make an Openvz template is to load up a base template in Solusvm and install it onto a dev vps.

Then make any modifications that you feel like and then click on the "create template" button in the admin panel on the details of the virtual server.

It will then as you to make a file name which it creates from the files of the VPS you edited and places it in  /vz/templates/cache .

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Personally, I find the easiest way to make an Openvz template is to load up a base template in Solusvm and install it onto a dev vps.

Then make any modifications that you feel like and then click on the "create template" button in the admin panel on the details of the virtual server.

It will then as you to make a file name which it creates from the files of the VPS you edited and places it in  /vz/templates/cache .
Is it really that simple? I was always under the impression the process was much more invovled than that.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
There is not much you need to get them to work. Just place in the Openvz template directory.

I know they work as I use them for Fliphost.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
There is a report a problem on each template page. I cannot fix any bugs or issues if they are not reported.

Please fill it out and I will look into it.

wilbo

I've found that most control panels let you create templates.  I know HyperVM, OpenVZ Web Panel and Solus all let you make templates.

herbyscrub

I do the following and it works fine for me:

- download precreated from openvz website

- load it up in a test box (or production...really doesn't matter)

- customize container

- vzdump --compress 6969

- move from /vz/dump to /vz/template/cache

- vzctl create 6969 --ostemplate debian-6.0-i386-gloo_vnstat --config basic (basically just omit tar.gz)

Last edited by a moderator:

wilbo

I do the following and it works fine for me:

- download precreated from openvz website

- load it up in a test box (or production...really doesn't matter)

- customize container

- vzdump --compress 6969

- move from /vz/dump to /vz/template/cache

- vzctl create 6969 --ostemplate debian-6.0-i386-gloo_vnstat --config basic (basically just omit tar.gz)
Does this method strip out the ip numbers from the template?

Jono20201

Verified Provider
I just use SolusVM's template creator, thats how I created a pre-install cPanel and Webmin templates. Tempted to also make some really minimal templates when I find some time.

amuck-landowner