amuck-landowner

How do you organize your pictures?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Today we got home from getting my daughter her first haircut and we're uploading all of the photos and videos from 2 cameras to our Facebook accounts and while I was uploading my pictures I realized how unorganized my "Pictures" folder is and I wanted to find a way to make organizing my pictures easier. Right now I just have one folder called "camera" that I dump everything into and manually sort through each picture once every few months.

So what is your method? Do you use an application to help you or do you have a folder naming scheme? Do you just have a single directory where you sort by date? Do you have a naming scheme for your pictures or just leave the default name the camera gave it? Please share!

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I just started playing around with a cool app that comes with my home NAS called Photo Station 6, it still requires manual organizing from the looks of it but it's a really neat way to browse my photos from any device since there's an Android app for it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I have an extra disk holding all pictures I ever made - synced to my NAS.

I have a folder for each year and one subfolder for each month.

Beyond that are camera name, dates and event names.

/2014/March/2014-03-20-olympus-irish-pub

I often just remember the camera model and the start/mid/end of month.

Best way to find pictures "done with my Olympus Pen by end of March"

eva2000

been using same naming scheme for years

shortname\date

i.e.

firsthaircut\20140420

every family member gets their own parent folder

mum\shortname\date

dad\shortname\date

or sometimes

mum\year\shortname\date

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
My mum had an Adobe application who sorted everything using the Exif info in the images, didn't matter where/how you saved the files.

Can't remember the exact name but it worked very nice.

Myself, I save everything based on year/month/occasion.

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Oh, don't ask me for advice. Managed to loose pretty much all of my photos pre-2010. However you organise your photos, always keep backups as always with everything. Luckily for me my family are always insistent I show send them photos of everything so they'll always have a backup. ;-)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@notFound I think I have backups covered. :)

jd_backups.png

And I am adding my tablet into the loop for realtime syncing also so I can have 2 mobile devices with all of my files.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I posted this on LET not long ago, looks interesting.

I got an offer from a paper I read that I could download free copies of CyberLink PhotoDirector 4 between May 26th and June 18th.

If you can get a Swedish, Norwegian or Finnish IP you can also download and recieve a free key for it.

All you have to do is to register a dummy account here : http://photodirector4.creativemark.co.uk

confirm the account via email and download the install files and generate a unique key.

amuck-landowner