amuck-landowner

How many of you have your own hosts?

Rob101

I was just wondering how many people here have their own hosting servers? is it worth the hassle?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Depends when you mean "own hosting servers".

At Catalyst, we have our own hardware now and just a bunch of good stuff going on.

Personally, I have colocated some of my own hardware as well as have a few rented. Most of the rented hardware are simply because they're old and I'd rather not have to deal with replacing broken down hardware (most of my rentals are almost on par with cost on colocation, so sometimes it's not worth it).

It's definitely a cost/benefit ratio curve as @Nett stated. Depends entirely on your own plan.

SpartanHost

Verified Provider
We started off renting as quite a lot of people do then we gradually started moving to colocation and getting racks. It's definitely a lot more 'interesting' owning your own hardware, then there is the obvious cost benefits over time but it depends whether you're up for the hard work required to make it all work if it's more than one server.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Have own hosting servers?

Is that a question about who is a provider or just who has their owned servers in datacenters?

I'm not a provider but have colo units out there that are owned legacy stuff.  Hoping to place some newer gear this year in other locations. Nothing fancy, a 1U or 2U here and there.

Steven F

Verified Provider
When we decided to deploy onto our own hardware, instead of reselling, it was for a few reasons.

1) To reduce our overall monthly spending.

2) To increase our overall profit margin, long term.

3) To allow us more flexibility and control over our servers.

However, we also would gain the following problems:

1) We're now responsible for insuring stock is available and that we have spares on-site.

2) Initial investment is much, much higher on a per-client/per-server basis.

3) We would need now be responsible for all cancellations on a financial level, where as before, it didn't matter if we got a cancellation.

4) We are now responsible for our own IP space.

There is a lot more to both of these two lists, but I'm giving you a general run down. Also, going out on your own sounds easy, but it certainly isn't. It has cost thousands of dollars on-top of our estimates, we've been struck with a few long delays (which have racked up additional thousands in costs), and a lot of stress. Now, everything is coming together, but until now its been insane. Was it worth it? I'll let you know in a year from now. In the future, I don't believe we'll ever have similar problems, but I could be wrong. It's our first "run", so it's probably going to be our hardest one.

This is from a "moving from reselling to our own infrastructure" point of view. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

gordonrp

Verified Provider
I was just wondering how many people here have their own hosting servers? is it worth the hassle?
Depends on your target market. If the margins are high enough to support having your own H/W then of course it's nicer to have full control of the environment. 

We own all our hardware, including network layer, in caged environments with our own offices & staff inside the DC also.

Last edited by a moderator:

weloveservers

Verified Provider
As our handle suggests, we do :) 

It is definitely worth the time, providing people with great service to ensure that they go far in whatever they want to do.

Server Colocation Hosting- StradSolutions
Server colocation is a web hosting service which offers you to accommodate your servers in the premises of a web hosting company rather than at your own place. We offer cost effective dedicated server colocation to the businesses that store their servers at their own place. Strad solutions have the most reliable rack space for server colocation hosting in India.

amuck-landowner