amuck-landowner

How to check OS install: Manual vs Template

tonyg

Hey guys,

Is there some way to check if a specific install was made with a template as opposed to a manual install.

The system in question would be KVM and the OS would be Debian 6 / 7.

I'm looking for any files from a template that would not be present in a manual OS install or vice versa.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

icy

Hello,

If it is from a standard Linux SolusVM template, it would be configured as a sda or xvda device, instead of a volume group.

When installed from a ISO, the default option would be a volume group and you should be able to recognise it. This method is not reliable as they could of chosen another partitioning scheme.

Other control panels such as Proxmox may differ too.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonyg

Unfortunately from what I have seen, configured devices vary and doesn't seem to be something to rely on.

Anyother ideas would be welcome.

Flapadar

Verified Provider
If you ran the installer, its not a template. If you didn't run the installer, its more than likely a template.

tonyg

@Flapadar

To clarify my question:

Assume you are in front of a terminal and you want to determine if the OS (Debian in this case) was installed from a template or from an ISO.

What tell tale signs would you look for to determine which way the OS was installed?

Mohammed H

templates usually have old OS versions for example . debian 7.2 . while manual installs always use the net to update itself to latest version.

this way works assuming you didn't update your system and your host provider didn't update his templates ..

other than that I doubt there is a way to find out.

Highest Regards

Mohammed H

telephone

@Flapadar

To clarify my question:

Assume you are in front of a terminal and you want to determine if the OS (Debian in this case) was installed from a template or from an ISO.

What tell tale signs would you look for to determine which way the OS was installed?

If the install is a Network Install (netinst) ISO then it's not a template. Other than that, ask the provider. That's the best way to ensure a correct response, although some may lie or be misinformed.

This may or may not help, but take a look at the RamNode OS list: RamNode Operating System Templates and ISOs

tonyg

@sleddog I have seen commented out references to the cddrom in templates such as the ones from DO.

I have not seen any reliable way to do this.

amuck-landowner