amuck-landowner

How to handle script installation

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
So as some of you may be aware, I'm working on a server/domain tracking panel. As this is my first script designed for public release, I'm wondering what's the best way to handle the installation procedures. Specifically, how do I set it up so that someone who downloads it will know how to put in their database details, new user info, etc.? I know fancier scripts (forum software, for instance) has a full graphical web-based installation script, but I feel that might be overkill since what I'm creating is designed for a tech-savvy crowd. How would you recommend it be done? Just a config file with a readme file to indicate how to set things up? Seems like the easiest on my end, but I'm sure there are more convenient ways that won't require me to take a week to write a setup script.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Assuming you have a simple config file that already holds this information, a simple php page should suffice as this is already a web based control panel. You could throw a page together that is used initially for the install and then deleted so nobody can mess with the installation. At most it would take a few hours to code.

Novacha

Content Contributer
Use a config file with explanations of all the possible settings either in the documentation or in the file itself. You might want to have a sql installer file that the user runs for after the configuration file is set up.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Use a config file with explanations of all the possible settings either in the documentation or in the file itself. You might want to have a sql installer file that the user runs for after the configuration file is set up.
Yes, as I mentioned in my post, I like this idea better than a full installer since it's easier, though the table setup completely slipped my mind.

acd

I would recommend either @'s method, which is very common for distribution packages or a script that reads options (with defaults) from the user at runtime in bash or sh, or if your software requires another script interpreter to run, optionally that scripting language. Rarely will I see or use something that requires a web interface to configure if it is not a website.

amuck-landowner