amuck-landowner

How to monitor how many seconds server is down?

ICPH

Hello,

an Linux VPS, i expect it to go offline (turn off) for some minutes or hours and i woul like to somehow simply discover how many seconds it was offline? Please how can i do it?

i have other linux server at hand too

KuJoe

Verified Provider
This might be a good option: http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

Never used it, but I've heard good things. The only problem is that is based on a single probe so if the ping gets dropped it might not be because your VPS is offline but maybe the traffic between your VPS and the SmokePing server is experiencing packet loss. You can probably grab 2 or 3 cheap yearly VPSs and run SmokePing from all of them to have a more accurate report.

ICPH

thx KuJoe, but i cant find if that SW can show me number of seconds downtime, looks little complicated for my case.

Roger

Verified Provider
Pingdom can help for your situation, I guess. They probe from different locations. 

weloveservers

Verified Provider
Hello,

an Linux VPS, i expect it to go offline (turn off) for some minutes or hours and i woul like to somehow simply discover how many seconds it was offline? Please how can i do it?

I believe if you use the premium edition of Pingdom, this notifies you of any instability.

Clouvider-Dom

Verified Provider
I don't know any reasonably priced service that would allow you to monitor every 1 second. If 1 minute is enough go for Pingdom, Hyperspin or any other. You can always write own script that will do it every 1s.

joesagona

Agreed, Zabbix will give you the most out of an open source tool for Linux. You can also try Nagios, but it is criticized for being very difficult to configure and create a lot of unnecessary noise. If you are looking for even more detail in downtime/ uptime and VPS performance overtime, BigPanda is a fairly new tool that integrates with Zabbix and will give you all the details, performance metrics, analytics, etc. you would want to look for.

fm7

Hello,

I understood the OP expected a somewhat long downtime caused by a specific one time event and notified in advance (e.g. physical server rack/data center migration). It sounds an use case where precision is not a requirement and any dirt cheap solution is ok.

BTW you can't say a "server is down" monitoring it from a bunch of remote servers. A server that doesn't reply remote requests from a given route means exactly that.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner