amuck-landowner

How to sell more VPS Servers

Sonwebhost

How would you go about getting more vps servers sold in this market. Who would you directly market to, do you think paid ads would get more clients, and is the age group the diving force behind new sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

fixidixi

man you make no sense to me:

1. create a great product

2. run a promo, advertise it

3. take care of your few customers

4. keep up the good work

5. enjoy.

tip. you shouldnt start in vps business you should look for sg else. (or focus on currently empty/hard to get locations)..

caceyjones

tip. you shouldnt start in vps business you should look for sg else. (or focus on currently empty/hard to get locations)..

VPSs in Tokyo will sell quick as long as your IPs arent blocked by the great firewall.  There are tons of Chinese setting up VPNs to get around government censorship

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Please don't start threads with 24pt font text :p I edited it to make it normal.

Have you tried your local market? Unsure how things are there, but here local businesses are the ones who aren't running around message forums looking for the cheapest of the cheap. They have money and will pay it for a good service, and are more likely to support someone local.

I can walk down main street and over 50% of the stores I pass will have no online presence. Some may have a Facebook page. Be a salesman and sell them on the idea they're missing out on potential business because they have no website and no online presence. Doesn't matter if it's a little family owned shoe store, antique shop, little caffe or bed-and-breakfast. All businesses need an online presence.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Have you tried your local market? Unsure how things are there, but here local businesses are the ones who aren't running around message forums looking for the cheapest of the cheap. They have money and will pay it for a good service, and are more likely to support someone local.
Hahaha!!!   MannDude just told a desk jockey to go outside and face the real world.  Stop that.  That won't work for most folks.  The sun is bound to burn through to their souls.

Want to make sales?  Create a brand that doesn't suck. 

Actually have a high enough level of knowledge about what you are selling.  Be proficient, be passionate and be productive.

Engineer your own solutions, create competitive advantages and don't replicate the same old generic CRAP every other lazy sloth is doing in the industry.  That generic CRAP is OpenVZ + SolusVM + E3 + common location + mass oversell ratio + no admin skills + constant DDoS + support that responds only during certain moon cycles + staff that is incompetent + lousy relationship with your DC / upstream + lack of any real features or value add.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Hahaha!!!   MannDude just told a desk jockey to go outside and face the real world.  Stop that.  That won't work for most folks.  The sun is bound to burn through to their souls.
A local focus might actually work for SonWebHost.  I'm sure there are a lot of small businesses in Barbados who would be happy to work with a hosting company that is locally based because there aren't many hosts that call Barbados home.

VENETX

You should do what I will be doing by summer.

Turn into a sales man and walk into town (an actual little town where walking is the main transportation) and just sell them web-hosting, web-design, anything you might think they could need to expand their business.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
... lot of small businesses in Barbados who would be happy to work with a hosting company that is locally based because there aren't many hosts that call Barbados home.
Yep, lots of small businesses everywhere.  Same applies all over.  Problem is most small businesses are hand to mouth, hate solicitors and will say Facebook is free or name another popular ad spend trend direct advertising on their TV / newspaper / billboard / radio.

You should do what I will be doing by summer.

Turn into a sales man and walk into town (an actual little town where walking is the main transportation) and just sell them web-hosting, web-design, anything you might think they could need to expand their business.
Good luck with that.  Everyone should spend a month doing real sales at least once.  It's easier said than done and door bangs in face / rejection will be your first name and demoralizing real quick.  That's just how sales is, so don't take it to heart.

VENETX

Yep, lots of small businesses everywhere.  Same applies all over.  Problem is most small businesses are hand to mouth, hate solicitors and will say Facebook is free or name another popular ad spend trend direct advertising on their TV / newspaper / billboard / radio.

Good luck with that.  Everyone should spend a month doing real sales at least once.  It's easier said than done and door bangs in face / rejection will be your first name and demoralizing real quick.  That's just how sales is, so don't take it to heart.
Thanks @drmike

Specially since my business will be my main income during this time as I am currently

quitting my current stable job as I think taking a carrer path to college is more

important for the future. But I do hope I get some sales.

Chatahooch

Social networking + reputation + good ole pavement pounding in areas where you actually have servers housed. I have canvased most of Montreal with doorhangers, flyers, handed out cards and it the results have been surprisingly pleasant. Sometimes old-school wins :)

telephone

If all you want is more VPS sold, without taking financials into account then: Unsustainable offers, 100TB PREMIUM bandwidth for $5/m, create fake names for support tickets to artificially inflate your company's personnel, lie through your teeth and use forums for press releases when your called out!

^ It worked for GVH  :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
If all you want is more VPS sold, without taking financials into account then: Unsustainable offers, 100TB PREMIUM bandwidth for $5/m, create fake names for support tickets to artificially inflate your company's personnel, lie through your teeth and use forums for press releases when your called out!

Don't forget sell out at the worst time!  

Chatahooch

Epic.

haloelite3

I would just recommend going heavy on advertising as much as you can so you can spread the word as well as you can!

haloelite3

I am having the same issue, I launched my business about a week ago and unfortunately no clients. Maybe it could be my prices or my website?

www.vacationpserver.com

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I would just recommend going heavy on advertising as much as you can so you can spread the word as well as you can!
Paid advertising is about as useful as buying lottery tickets in most instances.  Really isn't just a buy and it happens approach or if so, you got darn lucky or paid someone a bundle who has been down the road plenty prior.

I am having the same issue, I launched my business about a week ago and unfortunately no clients. Maybe it could be my prices or my website?

www.vacationpserver.com
No, your problem is that template.  Arrgghh.  How many people are using that one?  Plus your site really says about nothing.

swedendedicated

Verified Provider
I'd say the most important thing is to stand out, paid advertising is (in my opinion) a waste of money for the most part, there are so many social networks that offer free advertising etc... Be sure your product is unique, with vps this is a tough thing to come by, but you could also specialize in something such as ddos handling, streaming, cdn or whichever you are good at, if clients want something you are good at they will take a vps from you. It's like being a good webdesigner that just happens to be a webhosting reseller. Location is also very important, price is not so important if the product is good, don't go for $1 vps, you won't make any money unless you have thousands of vm's running.

amuck-landowner