amuck-landowner

How to sell more VPS Servers

haloelite3

Paid advertising is about as useful as buying lottery tickets in most instances.  Really isn't just a buy and it happens approach or if so, you got darn lucky or paid someone a bundle who has been down the road plenty prior.

No, your problem is that template.  Arrgghh.  How many people are using that one?  Plus your site really says about nothing.
Hello, How can I improve under "Plus your site really says about nothing" How can I improve that?

Thank you

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hello, How can I improve under "Plus your site really says about nothing" How can I improve that?

Thank you
Sorry for the poor English in communicating this.  

You asked for it, so here goes.

Your site is atrocious.  Sure the template is nifty, and probably 400 other "companies" use it.

Vacation Private Servers????!?!?!?   Does vacation mean something positive in your native language?  In English, a vacation is what one does to escape work.   Using it upside a server / service offering is counter productive and negative.  It's like calling it Careless Servers or Sometimes We Work Servers, you get the idea I think.

The site lacks any real content.  The only exception though barely is the Esports sponsorship.

There is no About Us page.  This is so common and silly. Who am I buying from?  Cause your domain and brand has ZERO notability, awareness, etc.   You must provide something compelling or just failing intentionally.

There is no contact of any sort.  I mean sure it has a bit, more than most who just toss you to WHMCS...

But what is there... Skype: xxtntacidsxx

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]= Dynamite Acid.... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Well, unless you are targeting gamers and kids, stuff like that is a big flashing red light of a hobby business.[/SIZE]

The plans lack any real description.  What are these running on?  Where is the datacenter?  What is the virtualization?

That should have you busy for while...

Chatahooch

Slow and steady wins the race. Those of you getting into this thinking you are going to make money right away, I have news for you. You won't, will not, and will not again. When you do you will have to fight for every $ tooth and nail, this is not an easy money industry.

What I wrote above should be all encompassing, meaning you better have your shit together if you want to make sales. 

haloelite3

I agree paid advertising is a waste of money when it comes to it - There are a huge range of social networks around however it is actually getting views on those social networks that can be difficult. The best idea is join these social network and get a good name about yourself out first before you even suggest advertising. The better person they see you the more likely they will trust and therefore increase your sales. Advertising and making for VPS sales is a part of a trust scheme.

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
How would you go about getting more vps servers sold in this market. Who would you directly market to, do you think paid ads would get more clients, and is the age group the diving force behind new sales.
Paid ads wont give you any return on investment, due to competitive costs vs brand awareness intrinsically getting you clients.  if you have money to invest (blow, and wait a long time to see back) then advertising to build brand awareness however is a good idea.  Dont expect dollar for dollar even after a year on clients if you go buy ads.

Customer Referals after providing great service is the #1 way to get clients, but to speed that process up (i.e. hit mass market numbers) you may need to find a niche or vertical to at least conquer first then move into larger audiences.  For instance, focus on plumbers, become the #1 hosting company focused on plumbers. (doubt they need vps's but its an example!) and go after that niche market through their national associate publications, news, and other channels. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Paid ads wont give you any return on investment, due to competitive costs vs brand awareness intrinsically getting you clients.  if you have money to invest (blow, and wait a long time to see back) then advertising to build brand awareness however is a good idea.  Dont expect dollar for dollar even after a year on clients if you go buy ads.

Customer Referals after providing great service is the #1 way to get clients, but to speed that process up (i.e. hit mass market numbers) you may need to find a niche or vertical to at least conquer first then move into larger audiences.  For instance, focus on plumbers, become the #1 hosting company focused on plumbers. (doubt they need vps's but its an example!) and go after that niche market through their national associate publications, news, and other channels. 
Yes all of this is spot on.

You can spend money on ads and get traction.  However, your ads will have to be essentially giving things away, opting people into crazy giveaways and similar.  Never underestimate the public's voluntary participation in getting something freely or deeply discounted or having hopes of winning a new ____item of desire____.  See DigitalOcean for a good example of this prior.

Niches remain the best method.  Why?  Because after you deal with a niche long enough, you should expect and know the customers needs and be able to provide value added and do so at better cost and / or with valuable additional services.

The niche part along with other true and tried must-dos are all part of brand building (which is awareness is the general outcome - awareness that leads to less friction during sales).

Real companies employ full time people - multiple often - to lead their marketing and to deploy the many initiatives.  It isn't rocket science, but it is a pile of honest work.  There is lots of initial visionary conceptualizing, followed by a formal plan to live by.  From the plan come proper schedule(s).  Reports, reports, and reports.

If you are working with marketing folks or employ such, initiatives should be working from a plan and that should be able available to you upon demand --- with regularly at most quarterly updates sent your way.

Marketing like any other section of your business can be an underperforming slush fund if left unchecked.

I recommend folks get their sales lead integrated with their marketing department.  Too often there is a big divide between the sales folks and marketing.  Similar divide between sales and corporate and marketing and corporate.  Shouldn't be any 'divisions' but all cohesive and part of one planned co-developed by all three sides (marketing, sales and corporate).

Marketing isn't free.   I've long told people to be committed to spend up to 20% of income annually on real marketing initiatives managed by actively involved professionals that intimately understand YOUR business.  Sadly most companies go to marketing for the wrong reasons, as reaction and without clear managed approach.  This often leads to massive cash burn.

Best examples of cash burn reactionary marketing -

1. Expensive trade shows - because the competition is there.  Trade shows pretty much should be avoided unless you are big company with staff to attend such and manage the whole thing like hawks.  Such shows are fun and too often double as vacations.  Sure you can write off a bunch of the costs, but you can't write on ROI or claim brand building with these shows 80% of the time.

2. Traditional advertising - very expensive and hard to calculate. Doable with right plan and discount media buying. Lucrative, but few understand the mediums today and even harder to find someone that does and can position your business in such.

3. Site XYZ buy in - there are MANY sites vying for sponsorship and ad money.  Some can be lucrative, where audited numbers exist and where risk is mitigated and audience is semi-established and clear.  Good luck getting such sites to provide that data freely in sales process.  Again, lucrative but more of minor player unless niche is total fit with your business and very high in your face clear sponsorship / involvement.  Usually good relationship like eats up a lot of human time cycles.

4. SEO - every week I see people running to such with an open wallet.  Easy come is easily gone money.  Does SEO work?  Sometimes.  Will what you have done long term damage your brand?  It very well might and when it does, you are in for a world of pain and cash spend to clean up the mess.  SEO is about the worst reactionary move to slumping sales.

Ideally you see where I am headed.  Commit.  Plan.  Schedule. Report.   Slow and steady, indeed.

Licensecart

Paid advertising is about as useful as buying lottery tickets in most instances.  Really isn't just a buy and it happens approach or if so, you got darn lucky or paid someone a bundle who has been down the road plenty prior.

No, your problem is that template.  Arrgghh.  How many people are using that one?  Plus your site really says about nothing.
Don't forget the logo haha looks like erm a blurry V with blue and white? Why I'm not sure as I don't see any blue or white on the layout. what's with the guy's text and a box lol :D

And their prices what's a £2.7? Isn't it £2.70 or 2.70p

Last edited by a moderator:

TierNet

Verified Provider

Thank you
To improve your website, get a fresh design and dont use a template available in the market. You should also have more content on your website so that visitor reads them and spend more time on your website and it will be better for SEO too.

foreign

Verified Provider
1. Advertise yourself for free wherever you can
2. Provide excellent service and support, so people will actually stay with you for long time(This is what you want, and this will keep your business going)

My local market story:
I didn't sell a single hosting package in my town and reason behind is that not even one small business lasts long, most of them are closed after first year. Why? Because first year they don't have to pay taxes and when second year is at the door, they close their business. They don't want to hear about additional expenses.
This doesn't mean you won't get any sales on your local market, it didn't work for me because of crisis in my country. Target new start-up businesses, because they are most of the time open for new things. I didn't end up hosting any sites, but I did some design work for them instead(For their Facebook page).

Good luck :)

Jonchun

You could also work on your website a little bit more. To me, a host that doesn't have the time to at least have a decent website probably doesn't have the time to provide a decent customer experience. That WHMCS is painful...

Serveo

Verified Provider
Like mentioned above, I would recommend to integrate WHMCS first. From there I would suggest to run some promo to create some customers base. From there its magic, good service, price and personal inspiration will do the trick!

Jonchun

http://www.rubberduck.be/hosting/

http://bigvps.io/

http://www.getpro.co.uk/

https://client.proxgroup.fr/clientarea.php

https://edgeserv.com/

https://www.motov.net/

http://gnutransfer.com/

http://www.get-searched.co.uk/

http://www.mooedia.co.uk/

Should I stop now? 

northhosts

Verified Provider
It confuses me how people wonder how they don't automatically get sales after a week! - it takes alot of hard work and that website just looks like you can't be arsed? I presume the £2.7 is because you can't fit the 0 in the circle? if so figure it out so it will fit! , and for god sake do something with whmcs - youve still got their logo!

Vacation Servers - whats your motto? ' We'll fix your server after Im finished drinking my mojito'

northhosts

Verified Provider
Also... why has your cheap plan got more resources than the others and its cheaper.. doesnt make sense?

zomgmike

Verified Provider
Sales are great. Sales channels are better.

Picture your ideal customer and why he'd buy your server.  Now picture where he and his colleagues would congregate.  Go there. Bump elbows. Hob knob.  Kiss babies.  Shake hands.

VPS4LESS

Verified Provider

I agree your site is well, just bad pay a little money get a noticeable site im not saying mine is any better but feel free to  look  https://clancoms.com

nuweb

Verified Provider
I'd either change some colors and icons on that template or get rid of it all together, too many people are using it now. 

Break up your different products into product categories on the site, give more information about them.

Your plans are confusing as heck. Why do they go 2TB to 200GB Bandwidth and 2GB, 1GB then 2GB RAM?

Servers4You

Verified Provider
If all you want is more VPS sold, without taking financials into account then: Unsustainable offers, 100TB PREMIUM bandwidth for $5/m, create fake names for support tickets to artificially inflate your company's personnel, lie through your teeth and use forums for press releases when your called out!

^ It worked for GVH  :popcorn:
Omg, I find this hilarious, this has completely made my day!

I agree with what most people are saying here, local marketing is good for some businesses, start up businesses are always looking for ways to get better and are usually open to new ideas (such as an online presence). 

You may be just starting in this business, which is fine, however your template, thousands of hosts already use that template, I'd recommend getting something better, such as a unique design (although may cost a bit) or get something not many websites are using, I would recommend looking through ThemeForest or something like that for ideas on a good template.

After that you need to look at completely white labeling the WHMCS software you are using. When I say white label, I mean a custom theme that fits your site template/theme.

amuck-landowner