amuck-landowner

How to set up an IPv6 tunnel

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
As most of you probably know, I'm somewhat of an IPv6 fiend. Sadly, my ISP isn't, so I've been forced to tunnel my IPv6. The only working solution I've found for this is via the "gogoclient", which has multiple issues, mainly reliability. I'm wondering if there is any way (preferably not an insanely complicated way) to use one of my many IPv6-compatible VPSes to make my own tunnel. I'm not talking a proxy, those mess things up too much, I mean a tunnel where I can access all ports on a remote IPv6 service the same as I do with IPv4.

If there isn't, is there some more reliable NAT-traversing tunnel I can use?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Doesn't HE offer a public free tunnel thing?   @Francisco
Doesn't seem to work for me. It's not because I'm behind NAT, because I plugged directly in to my modem and still got through. I imagine something in there is blocking the necessary protocol. Otherwise I would certainly be using that.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
What kind of router are you using? I find if you do it router level it works beautifully. I'm on an ipv6 tunnel from he.net right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@bcarlsonmedia, interesting.   Is your router just a consumer facing type of device or are you using something big and official?

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
It's an airport extreme. We have 2, one connected to he.net tunnel for my servers, the other not on IPv6 for the house (will be putting it on IPv6 soon).

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
Your router must be blocking protocol 41 (6in4), which means a firewall issue. Try disabling the firewall and report back.

If that doesn't work you'll need to find a router that does pass protocol 41 -- I'm using a Belkin router and it passes protocol 41.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@bcarlsonmedia @Tux,  either of you have a self tutorial on how to get your IPV6 tunnel working?  Certainly a need for a tutorial for the rest of us.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'd be interested and I know other would interested.

Makes a nice bridge to IPV6-only offers from a few providers and would get some us experimenting with IPV6.

5n1p

I have also tried to setup he tunnel but it does not work for me too, so I use gogoclient, and I havent noticed any problems with it. 

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I've been looking for a way to add IPs to some of my dedicated servers without using TunnelBroker. Any experience with a GRE tunnel for IPv6?

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
As I mentioned, I don't think the problem is router-level, as I've had the same issue when plugged directly in to my modem. If it were router level, I'm sure I could get around that.

mark

I'm interested in the original question:

I'm wondering if there is any way (preferably not an insanely complicated way) to use one of my many IPv6-compatible VPSes to make my own tunnel.
I have the same problem of being behind an ISP who openly states that they have no plans to implement IPv6 any time soon, but I would like some sort of IPv6 connectivity of my own using a VPS.

Is it possible to set up an IPv4 VPN (L2TP or PPTP) and use IPv6 over that connection? So the VPN server assigns my computer (the VPN client) an IPv4 and IPv6 address, and the IPv6 packets are encasulated within IPv4 between the client and the server.

amuck-landowner