amuck-landowner

How To Utilize the 3 As (Acknowledge, Align, Assure) Properly

Phill Fernandes

Every now and then I come across a support representative that solves the problem but still leaves with that absent feeling. Almost like they didn't care about what just happened. I know from experience that at the end of the day it can become more challenging to efficiency convey the fact that you care about the customer and their problem(s). Regardless of the time of day it is imperative that you are able to do this effectively because in that moment in time you are the voice/face of the company you work for. If you mess up a relationship with a customer then the next person that interacts with that  customer will have to work twice as hard to not only fix the original problem the customer contacted you about but repair the broken and potentially lost relationship as well.

Let's take a look at a chat log and see how the 3 As can properly be used to help the customer feel like they are actually cared about.

Quote said:
Support Conversation A - Proper Use of 3 As

Customer: John Jones
Problem: Account and Billing > Invoice > Overdue Invoice > PayPal/billing portal not marking invoice as paid

Agent: Hello John Jones, my name is Kim Jackson, thanks for choosing ACME Corp. How are you doing today? I understand that you have problem with your invoice not being marked as paid. Is this correct?

Customer: Hi Kim, I am doing okay. How are you? Yes, I paid my invoice via PayPal last night and your billing system has yet to mark it as paid.

Agent: I am doing well, thanks for asking. I can understand how frustrating it can be when your invoice is properly marked as paid. It's great that you contacted us because our system could have automatically suspended your account for non-payment.

Agent: I too personally would be annoyed if my invoice weren't marked as paid even if I did pay them. We are going to get this fixed for in the next couple of minutes.
In the above excerpt Kim (the representative) Acknowledged that John (the customer) was having an issue with his invoicing and demonstrated that she understood how annoying it could be if it was left unchecked. She also set a reasonable amount of time to work to get this issue solved. She also Aligns herself with the customer by stating that she would feel the same way if she were in the customers shoes.

Quote said:
Agent: We will get this sorted as quickly as possible. Before we proceed I just need to confirm some information on the account with you. Is this okay?

Customer: Sure.
We also need to assure the customer that we are going to be able to solve their issue.

Quote said:
Agent: O.K. Can you please verify the address and telephone number we have on file?

Customer: Yes, the address is 12452 Acme Ln., Ste. 204B, Las Vegas, Nevada 89101. Phone number is  1-555-755-6542.

Agent: Excellent! Thank you for the information. Could you please provide me with the PayPal Transaction ID? This should be in the "Transaction Details" section of the receipt emailed to you by PayPal.

Customer: The PayPal Transaction ID is: PP-zzzzzzzzzzz-zzzzzzzzzzzz-xxx-z-x

Agent: Great. Would you mind holding on for just a second while I check the I.D. against our records?

Customer: Okay.

Agent: Thank You!, I will be back with you in 2 - 3 minutes.

..... (Some time later)

Agent: Okay, John, your Transaction I.D. matches our records. I went ahead an noted it on the invoice and marked it as paid. You should recieve an email with a copy of the invoice being marked as paid.

Customer: Thanks Kim.

Agent: No problem. It was my pleasure to help you today. Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer: No, that is all.

Agent: O.K. If there is nothing else you may end this chat by simply closing the window.
Agent: Thank You for choosing Acme Corp. Have a great day!

=== Customer Closed Ends ===
In the above chat log we observed how to properly use the 3 As... Acknowledge, Align and Assure to demonstrate to a customer that care about them and their situation. We also observed proper positioning for when research is required.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Good submission. Somehow I had just seen this and didn't spot it when it was submitted. Thanks for sharing.

amuck-landowner