amuck-landowner

I need a mouse surface

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
These mouse pads thrown over in the corner aren't cutting it for mousing around.  My smooth desktop surface isn't very optimal either.

Anyone use/recommend a large mouse surface they are thrilled with?  Looking for something ideally upwards of 2ft x 2ft.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Try using a chessboard upside down, not the white/black side up.

Large enough and works perfect for mice without balls. (That sounds wierd).

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I didn't know there was this much like...  I don't know.  Mouse Pads?  I never thought to get a real "high quality" mousepad.  Do they really make a difference?

bauhaus

I didn't know there was this much like...  I don't know.  Mouse Pads?  I never thought to get a real "high quality" mousepad.  Do they really make a difference?
There is a real difference with high quality surfaces, however I prefer trackballs. Switched long time ago and never regret it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
@KS_Phillip, what is the material on that SteelSeries?

Is it a non-spongy style surface?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Thanks Phil!  Shortlisted that surface/pad.

Eons ago in my posh offices, we had similar integrated into the desk surface itself.  Been a while since I spoke with our architect who procured the materials.   Thinking polycarbonate is what most of these are on the top side.

(architect designed from input everything from the physical space down to the workstations)

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Wow... hm...  I just use a cheap cloth+foam mix mousepad I got for free with a computer part I bought.  How big of a difference in experience do you feel from using these other material mousepads?  is it that noticeable? 

Ivan

Verified Provider
Steelseries QCK+ or QCK Mass. 

QCK+ is huge, but thin. The QCK Mass itself is also quite large, except it is smaller than the QCK+ but thicker. I am using the Steelseries QCK+ and I could not be happier with it :)
When I bought the QCK+, it is pretty cheap, I bought it for $25 or less. The QCK Mass, if I recall correctly, should be a little bit more expensive.

I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a limited version of the QCK+ from here: http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Gaming-Mouse-Pad-Navi-Edition/dp/B005OCBZB2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378648392&sr=8-3&keywords=qck%2B

The limited edition QCK+'s are the ones with a gaming team design.

It is thicker than the normal QCK+, but still crazy large. My friend has it and I really regret not getting the Natus Vincere edition, since it is more thicker than the original QCK+. 

The normal QCK+ is 2mm thick, whilst the QCK+ limited editions are 4mm thick.

If you do not like the Fnatic/Navi/etc design, then you can go for the QCK Mass, which is slightly smaller than the QCK+ but it should be more thick (6mm).

http://steelseries.com/products/surfaces/steelseries-qck-plus

http://steelseries.com/products/surfaces/steelseries-qck-mass

Though the QCK+ on Amazon is sold by a 3rd party and is insanely overpriced, so go for one of the QCK+ limited editions or a QCK Mass :)

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I used to use a steelseries. I got fed up having to use mouse mats so I spent a bit more money on a really good laser mouse. I can use it on almost any surface..including glass.

pcan

The laser mouse suggestion is good. Even the cheapest Logitech LS1 mouse tracks perfectly over a glass or metallic surface.

At the office, I am about to start the annual search for the best monthly or weekly desk pad. Suppliers usually give them for free as marketing material. Some pads are 120 cm wide and cover all the mouse/keyboard area. It can be used as emergency notepad. I peel away the top sheet when needed: the surface is always clean and new with no effort. If the desk pad is not available, a simple A2 paper sheet is a good substitute. I started the habit of paper mousepads long ago, with stacks of dot matrix printer paper.

Damian

Verified Provider
How about freeing yourself from the constraints of your desktop space and from menial operations like moving the mouse with your entire hand and letting your spirit run free with an upside down mouse?

logitech-wireless-trackball-m570.png

Since switching to a trackball I no longer have weird pains in my right arm. I also find it that it's nicer to play games with... spinning around to aim at your enemy? Don't need to pick up your mouse, just lift your thumb!

(edit) I will admit that I use a standard mouse in dirty environments because the trackball picks up dirt and grease easily. But the trackball stays surprisingly clean both at home and at the office.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What make and model is that mouse in the pic there @Damian?

I am receptive to such a solution too...

amuck-landowner