amuck-landowner

I need a rackmount chasis custom built.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I have a 3d model of a 4u rackmount chasis with pretty good detail and I need someone to build me a prototype. Who/Where should I go to? Do all of the chasis vendors make their own with their own equipment or do they all use some sort of central place that specializes in making these?

coreyman

Verified Provider
Normally they go to a sheet metal shop with a full CAD file and get it made, it won't be cheap.

Are you needing it for 'very high drive capacity'? If so, backblaze has a custom chassis that holds a retarded amount of storage: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage-2/

Francisco
Without getting into too much detail it is sort of like a blade server, but without the expensive blade server vendors. I've created the model in sketchup to the millimeter precision (it can be exported to AutoCAD)

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Check with a local CNC Shop.  Problem is CNC will also be expensive.  

Tldr: Don't expect it cheap if you're planning on manufacturing at an individual unit level.  

coreyman

Verified Provider
Check with a local CNC Shop.  Problem is CNC will also be expensive.  

Tldr: Don't expect it cheap if you're planning on manufacturing at an individual unit level.  

Well yes I definitely want an individual unit to start with because there could be some issues that need to be sorted with it.

Do you think I could get it done around $300? (Probably wouldn't even use a whole sheet of metal in lay flat dimensions.).

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well yes I definitely want an individual unit to start with because there could be some issues that need to be sorted with it.

Do you think I could get it done around $300? (Probably wouldn't even use a whole sheet of metal in lay flat dimensions.).
If we're talking flat metal then you're probably going to want to look more into cold-formed manufacturing.  I can't give you a price estimate since this isn't my specialty (unless we're talking the strength and design of a steel beam for construction purposes).  

coreyman

Verified Provider
If we're talking flat metal then you're probably going to want to look more into cold-formed manufacturing.  I can't give you a price estimate since this isn't my specialty (unless we're talking the strength and design of a steel beam for construction purposes).  

Yea i was assuming they would use flat metal and put some folded bends for strength, although I am no expert.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!

Depends on where you live and the shop you ask.

If you have a large amount of metal shops around it tends to be cheaper then if there is only one. :)

coreyman

Verified Provider
Depends on where you live and the shop you ask.

If you have a large amount of metal shops around it tends to be cheaper then if there is only one. :)
Well I've already been up too late working on this project so I'm headed to bed for now, but keep the ideas rolling!

pcan

Try to minimize the number of foldings, because for low-volume production they need to be manually done by a worker on the press brake machine: a slow, expensive and low-precision process. Holes and straight cuttings will be done automatically and very precisely by a laser cutting or water jet cutting machine. You need to specify the type of metal. If you go for inox steel your chassis will be shiny and stiff; galvanizing and painting aren't needed, but edges will be dangerously razor sharp. Aluminium is another choice that don't need painting, but you will need some thickness. If you go for the usual iron sheet, ask for a rust-protected type and be aware that rust will always form on the cutted face, unless paint is applied.

Your file will be imported in the CAM software and will be adjusted by the machine technician to fit the process/machine and material constraints. Keep geometry simple, or be prepared to get some dimensional errors at the first trial. Don't know where you are, but 300$ will not get you very far where I am. 

coreyman

Verified Provider
Try to minimize the number of foldings, because for low-volume production they need to be manually done by a worker on the press brake machine: a slow, expensive and low-precision process. Holes and straight cuttings will be done automatically and very precisely by a laser cutting or water jet cutting machine. You need to specify the type of metal. If you go for inox steel your chassis will be shiny and stiff; galvanizing and painting aren't needed, but edges will be dangerously razor sharp. Aluminium is another choice that don't need painting, but you will need some thickness. If you go for the usual iron sheet, ask for a rust-protected type and be aware that rust will always form on the cutted face, unless paint is applied.

Your file will be imported in the CAM software and will be adjusted by the machine technician to fit the process/machine and material constraints. Keep geometry simple, or be prepared to get some dimensional errors at the first trial. Don't know where you are, but 300$ will not get you very far where I am. 
Well if $300 isn't going to get me very far I may as well go get some fiberglass and start work on my own and not even bother with steel/metal.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well if $300 isn't going to get me very far I may as well go get some fiberglass and start work on my own and not even bother with steel/metal.
That's probably what's going to happen.  Manufacturing for 300 dollars isn't probably going to happen, especially since the machines you'll want to work with are incredibly expensive and "borrowing it" to make your chassis isn't really an option (the longer that machine isn't doing anything productive the more money they're losing).  

See if they have a metal shop or something nearby and local.  I recall one guy telling me his city had something like a membership-esque metal shop for hobbyists and just people who want to use it.  Everyone pays a monthly fee and they get like a certain amount of hours using the machine (and the people there can send you in the right direction in terms of making your sketchup into an actual manufactured good).  

coreyman

Verified Provider
That's probably what's going to happen.  Manufacturing for 300 dollars isn't probably going to happen, especially since the machines you'll want to work with are incredibly expensive and "borrowing it" to make your chassis isn't really an option (the longer that machine isn't doing anything productive the more money they're losing).  

See if they have a metal shop or something nearby and local.  I recall one guy telling me his city had something like a membership-esque metal shop for hobbyists and just people who want to use it.  Everyone pays a monthly fee and they get like a certain amount of hours using the machine (and the people there can send you in the right direction in terms of making your sketchup into an actual manufactured good).  
My city only has like a population of 100,000 so I doubt something like that exists here. I will be going to the different local shops around and talking to them still and see if anyone can provide me with some services.

I've also already contacted athena power to see if they can do anything for me. (I buy chassis from them already.)

pcan

I believe that 300$ may not be enough for a professional full custom metal chassis because the manufacturing of this kind of complex metal parts is a iterative process. You start with some technical drawing, then the machine shop expert will suggest modifications to build the part in a reasonable amount of time and money with the tools at hand. You will be lucky to have a working design at second iteration. Prices and complexity are a lot lower if your design is fully or primarily composed of flat parts to be bolted togheter, because these will come out straight from the sheet metal cutting machine, usually with a good tolerance. Look around, and you will find that most prototype/low volume metal cases are built this way.

I guess you don't plan to use a solid copper metal sheet, therefore the size of the part is not the driving cost for your prototype; the machine tooling time is. Again, you may be lucky and find a metal shop that is already mass producing with a tooling compatible with your part. If you aren't in a hurry, they may fit your nesting between two production lots.

Edit: I believe you are thinking a solution like this http://www.server8.it/index.php?page=home&lang=EN&type= 

qps

Verified Provider
You might look into the SuperMicro Microcloud.  The Avoton Atoms are available you can get an E3 version as well.

coreyman

Verified Provider
I believe that 300$ may not be enough for a professional full custom metal chassis because the manufacturing of this kind of complex metal parts is a iterative process. You start with some technical drawing, then the machine shop expert will suggest modifications to build the part in a reasonable amount of time and money with the tools at hand. You will be lucky to have a working design at second iteration. Prices and complexity are a lot lower if your design is fully or primarily composed of flat parts to be bolted togheter, because these will come out straight from the sheet metal cutting machine, usually with a good tolerance. Look around, and you will find that most prototype/low volume metal cases are built this way.

I guess you don't plan to use a solid copper metal sheet, therefore the size of the part is not the driving cost for your prototype; the machine tooling time is. Again, you may be lucky and find a metal shop that is already mass producing with a tooling compatible with your part. If you aren't in a hurry, they may fit your nesting between two production lots.

Edit: I believe you are thinking a solution like this http://www.server8.it/index.php?page=home&lang=EN&type= 
Yes that's similar to what I've designed but mine is only 4u and holds mini itx boards. Plus that one is almost 1000 Euros - I'd rather put the money into my own R&D.

coreyman

Verified Provider
amuck-landowner