i want to provide $1 per year vps's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
@mtwiscool

Whilst I admire your determination to come up with new ideas all the time the issue is that you need to stick with one and work at it, not keep changing,  This latest idea though is not the way forward for you.  You will at best attract abusers more than serious users.

Still not convinced it's the old Matthew though, things do not improve that much in a short period of time.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Also, everyone else, one more GVH related post in this thread and you're in the sinbin for 24 hours...!!
I like this...  Saw the same drumming of threads on the other communities.  It isn't by accident, nor 'unintentional'.   I usually frown about heavy handedness, but in this instance, I say good.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Are you the guy who was on WHT building a VPS node from desktop components and did a lot of youtube videos about it?
Yes he was, shipping to the USA with a UK power supply!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
As places like india have people who want to larn about hosting things in liunx but don't have the money.

Why do industrialized nation folks think like this?  The extremely poor in India do not need a VPS, they need heating/cooking fuel, they need sanitation, they need access to markets, access to resources to make things.   To get to level of VPS necessity requires:

1.  Internet access - even if community center or cellular and both tend to cost something

2. An internet device - computer, phone, etc.

3. Electric power

These people are worried about their next meal, sanitation, the regular stuff real people are concerned with everywhere.  Not foo-foo three layers of technology paying to fark around with some puny abstract, overloaded server.

There are slews of folks from Indian, Pakistan and lands likely much closer than you are and much more versed in the people there than you are.

How do you intend on reaching your market?  Plan on branding UNICEF relief rations or does Google have a special Ad distribution model for that audience too?

PS: the youthful university crowd, much more likely your target market, already has access to computing resources at the university.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Let's try to be a little bit helpful. While I agree this isn't a good idea, it's best to state the reasons why.

If you wish to provide affordable services to introduce people from your country to virtual servers, that's great. But do these people need a VPS for an entire year? Likely not, especially if they're just learning. $1 is way too cheap, and after fees you're literally 'making' pennies.

Not to mention this isn't going to attract "Little Joe wanna learn to program", it's almost certainly going to attract abusers, spammers, etc. It's $1. That's called a burner box. Use, abuse, then lose it. The spammer/scammer/fraudster/whatever isn't going to cry over $1 when you terminate his VPS. Actually he'll still probably do a chargeback anyway, just because that's the sort of quality people this offer will attract.

Etc. Etc.

mtwiscool

Let's try to be a little bit helpful. While I agree this isn't a good idea, it's best to state the reasons why.

If you wish to provide affordable services to introduce people from your country to virtual servers, that's great. But do these people need a VPS for an entire year? Likely not, especially if they're just learning. $1 is way too cheap, and after fees you're literally 'making' pennies.

Not to mention this isn't going to attract "Little Joe wanna learn to program", it's almost certainly going to attract abusers, spammers, etc. It's $1. That's called a burner box. Use, abuse, then lose it. The spammer/scammer/fraudster/whatever isn't going to cry over $1 when you terminate his VPS. Actually he'll still probably do a chargeback anyway, just because that's the sort of quality people this offer will attract.

Etc. Etc.
port 25 will be blocked and port linited to 10Mbps

and we are going bitcoin only so theys no chargebacks.

Virtovo

Verified Provider

You're going to face other types of abuse.

I really don't think this business plan has legs.  The node is not up to handling the number of VPS you are planning.  There are other projects that offer a service at a better pricing with a reputation behind them.  How many projects do you have open at the moment.  List them all here and we might be able to advise the best one to put your efforts into.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff

See there you go already, a short ago it was ($1 per year via bitpay ($1.49 per year paypal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner