amuck-landowner

ICANN suspends Brandon Gray Internet Services (AKA Domain Registry of America, DROC, etc)

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
They started this practice before the EPP system was in place and all that was required to transfer a domain was a contact approval via email (and even that got overlooked at times).

Makes sense. How diabolical.

Currently I believe that DROA states you will need the EPP code and once you return the form they will send you instructions on how to obtain it from your current registrar.  Which for some is finally the wake up call that they did something stupid. Whether you can get money back or not I suppose is debatable.  Can make arguments on both sides... DROA can claim you signed a document and the terms express that you need to get the EPP code and click the final approval link.  If you don't do that, not really their fault.  For the consumer, if the dont follow through, then really DROA has not provided any service that needs to be paid for.

Hopefully the EPP code is jarring enough. When it just looks like a bill, it's not surprising people would fall for it. But once you have to log in to the old registrar, the alarm bells should go off.

As for ICANN's involvement, droa (or brandon gray internet anyways) is an ICANN accredited registrar.  That means that they signed a contract with ICANN, and ICANN now says that they breached that contract (through deceptive marketing practices).  So either droa quits what they are doing, or ICANN cancels their accreditation.  In the latter, they could try to resell through another registrar but it seems at this point they'll just keep getting cancelled as a reseller should they attempt that route.

I was only saying ICANN wouldn't be involved if DROA wasn't actually transferring/renewing the domains. That would be fraud. Since they are doing it, that is for ICANN to decide. It just seems unlikely that DROA would rope so many people in with the EPP requirement, but you explained that.
-----------------

Thanks for outlining all that stuff @drmike - this is a group with some history to say the least. With this scam all but shut down, I wonder what it'll be next. How's the vaca going, BTW? :p

PwnyExpress

In Canada, federal mail usually comes in an envelope that has a similar colour/texture to cardboard. The "Domain registry of Canada" sends their papers in the exact same envelopes just to scam people.
And sadly those kfraft envelopes cost substantially less when purchased in volumes. And they're aren't hard to obtain anyways.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
My guess is they move to:

1. Insurance scams and related signup scams.

2. Real estate "development"

But, very likely they collected enough cash to bankroll some "legitimate" businesses in all these years.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Maybe I should pair the Benlolo's up with a nice little accompany across the big lake in Buffalo :)

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Why do that, though, when you can scam people? They have more experience in that field anyway.
Especially given that Kuryliw's earlier charge resulted in over $700,000 in payments being seized from mail in transit and he was then only fined a paltry $30,000. Given the amount that was in the mail system at the time & that he'd been running it for a while, he made a shitton of profit.

Gallaeaho

Verified Provider
This guys such a scam.

In Canada, federal mail usually comes in an envelope that has a similar colour/texture to cardboard. The "Domain registry of Canada" sends their papers in the exact same envelopes just to scam people.

A friend of mines boss almost got suckered into paying for their domains in the US to this guy.

Infact, I just got notification for some of my IRC related domains just the other day.

Francisco
I've gotten several of these over the years, and if I looked around hard enough, I'm sure I'd find a few. The forms are very similar to the picutre included in the OP, except ours are red (because Canadian, we're all about red apparently). They look exactly like a color form you'd fill out from the federal government.

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
I've gotten many of these over time, but have never filled one out because I saw a different registrar on there and got suspicious. Once I had received one or two of them, I contacted my most commonly used registrar (Namecheap) to confirm this.

eva2000

lol a few years ago I even received such spam mail from these days and I am in Australia !

this was before I attached whois privacy to all my domains :)

amuck-landowner