amuck-landowner

If you weren't working in this industry, what would you rather be doing?

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I'd be a postman. All the fresh air and exercise you could need, no ridiculous corporate complexity, you do your day's work and go home. The complete opposite of the shithouse I currently occupy physically for 8 hours a day and mentally for 18.
That's only for 6 months a year though, the other 6 months you're stuck behind a desk or at a sorting facility.

dano

I wanted to be postman when I was 7 years old -- mom gave me the "low down" on the postal service around that time and changed my mind.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Farming could be a good job, unless you don't want others to call you "redneck".

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'd be a postman. All the fresh air and exercise you could need, no ridiculous corporate complexity, you do your day's work and go home. The complete opposite of the shithouse I currently occupy physically for 8 hours a day and mentally for 18.
Tell that to my postman...

I asked what was up with this weird barcode the postal service put inside my mailbox.  He said, oh don't worry about that, it's not for you.

Who is it for?  It's to monitor him.   No joke.   They are installed inside random boxes along his route and needs to gun scan them daily.  That data goes back to the borg and they use it to micromanage carriers.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I would love to be a farmer also -- it's something that my family(couple generations both sides) has been doing for a long time, and it makes me very happy.
Pre-growing season here in the northern hemisphere we'll have a group growing thread.   There are a few us with serious garden/growing issues :)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

I asked what was up with this weird barcode the postal service put inside my mailbox.  He said, oh don't worry about that, it's not for you.

Who is it for?  It's to monitor him.   No joke.   They are installed inside random boxes along his route and needs to gun scan them daily.  That data goes back to the borg and they use it to micromanage carriers.
True story, they do similar things in Grocery store.  A friend of mine used to be the guy that mopped the aisles and such.  Every once in a while when he's cleaning he has to go through and scan the barcode to say he cleaned it at this time.  It's all data mining but dang is it tedious. 

As for me, well... I guess I'd love to be a corporate business guy (more administration side though).  Right now I'm all water resources engineering (besides for Catalyst that is...).  I always hear Business majors are easier and personally I'd love to work in an office building with highly sociable people.  

And of course I'd like to get into the actual Industry instead of living in the Academic side.  Actually applying my knowledge to practice would be lovely, granted the Academic side is part of the reason why the Industry side actually exists ;) 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

No shit? There was this conspiracy theory a while back that was comical, was debunked and super far fetched to begin with but it had to do with different colored sticker dots being randomly placed on mailboxes... I won't spoil the fun, and will let you look it up. :)

peterw

Professor at university. I want to kick my back everytime when I remember why I stopped doing my PhD.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No shit? There was this conspiracy theory a while back that was comical, was debunked and super far fetched to begin with but it had to do with different colored sticker dots being randomly placed on mailboxes... I won't spoil the fun, and will let you look it up. :)
I've seen different coloured stickers placed on newspaper boxes (attached to mailboxes)... but those served the practical application of letting the paperman know what days said box received a paper.

Alto

That's only for 6 months a year though, the other 6 months you're stuck behind a desk or at a sorting facility.
I'm the in UK, the Royal Mail isn't quite the same as the USPS by the sounds of things. The sorting office is considered a promotion, so you don't get shoved there if you don't want to; I've had the same postie for 2 years.

HostUS-Alexander

Verified Provider
I'm the in UK, the Royal Mail isn't quite the same as the USPS by the sounds of things. The sorting office is considered a promotion, so you don't get shoved there if you don't want to; I've had the same postie for 2 years.
Here is Scotland, i get a different postie everyday lol.

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
Before I got into this industry I was pretty steady doing Graphics Design/Video Production/Networking/IT for a decent sized church. So more than likely I would go back into that. Focus more on Video Production and live streaming of services. 

vRozenSch00n

I have a dream to be a self sufficient farmer.

Grow my own crop.

Raise some poultry and cattle in my backyard and some carp or tilapia mossambica in my pond. 

Brew my beer.

Produce my own cooking oil from my coconut in the backyard

Produce my jerky, pickled or salted food for the rainy day.

Generate methane gas from manure for cooking.

Generate wind and solar power electricity. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
.....so why don't you? :)
For me, family.  Not just the spousal unit and offspring, but also BuyVM - we're a pretty tight (albiet dysfunctional at times) family that just happens to be spread out a bit.

Aye, I'm aware plenty of soldiers have families.  But the husbands in my old unit lied to their families about what they did; I value trust too highly to do the same.

amuck-landowner