amuck-landowner

If you're at Generation-Host - Backup your data NOW!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Not sure how many people are using them but figured i'd bring it up:

Dear Client,

It is with regret that we announce that Generation-Host is ceasing operations effective immediately.

Due to the failure of key business partners, we are no longer able to provide further service to our clients.

All cloud customers are currently offline due to the above complications. All Teamspeak, Shared and Dedicated clients will continue to receive service until September 1st 2013.

We suggest all Shared Hosting clients immediately generate and download a backup of accounts.

We thank you for your patronage and apologize for the inconvenience this will cause.

--

Generation-Host.com
Source: http://generation-host.com/

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Never heard of them.  Or just don't remember seeing them.

Sad how companies implode like this and abandon folks.   

To those future fails out there, reach out in the same datacenter to other companies when this happens and see if someone is interested in assuming the clients --- at minimum.

concerto49

Verified Provider
To those future fails out there, reach out in the same datacenter to other companies when this happens and see if someone is interested in assuming the clients --- at minimum.
Sad to see them go. Yeah we're actively looking at acquiring hosts right now, so if anyone's in trouble or need an investor/partner give us a buzz.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Looks like their business was all over the place in offers (PBX, VPS, OnAPP, CDN, etc. etc. etc.).

Spread themselves thin hunting for fish in the wrong pond I think.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Never heard of them.  Or just don't remember seeing them.

Sad how companies implode like this and abandon folks.   

This.

Though, you get the flip side where they come to you, you agree to take it on and get things fixed and then once you've discussed what the options are and how to get things sorted they decide to backup at the very last minute.. fix it all, then sell it off later on down the road to someone else.

concerto49

Verified Provider
This.

Though, you get the flip side where they come to you, you agree to take it on and get things fixed and then once you've discussed what the options are and how to get things sorted they decide to backup at the very last minute.. fix it all, then sell it off later on down the road to someone else.
This is where sales need to be properly vetted and with a contract in place. There needs to be terms/conditions met before things get fixed or even looked at. The hand over process needs to be completed as a step 1.

Supicioso

I wonder what goes through a person's mind when they decide to abandon all their customers on the spot like this. It's very unsettling.

DearLeaderJohn

Ah Generation-Host, I remember a couple of years ago I did some technical work for a virtual airline that hosted with these jokers. They managed to lose data twice and generally the performance was dire; that being said, dropping off the face of the earth like that isn't the way to go.

gordonrp

Verified Provider
Ah Generation-Host, I remember a couple of years ago I did some technical work for a virtual airline that hosted with these jokers. They managed to lose data twice and generally the performance was dire; that being said, dropping off the face of the earth like that isn't the way to go.
Lost data, when their old server was shutdown and then they suddenly moved datacenters, rather than getting the old server turned back on ;)

http://d.pr/i/RKMB/39EsHGx1 (from http://d.pr/i/PW74/3nhBLc2Z )

I remember that one distinctly, and it was preventable. Im not surprised to see them go out of business.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner