amuck-landowner

I'm speechless...

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Wow, you are being a total jerk in this thread.
@shovenose no I'm not, because if someone has a valid point to make then he should be able to write it down in a few coherent sentences, which he did after I told him that it was TL;DR. Anyway, what are you doing here, getting bored?

Last edited by a moderator:

wearehidden

well im perfectly ok with paying an administrative free, the only reason i asked for a  refund is because i was not the one who purchased the VPS i bear full responsibility and wanted to attempt to have their money returned to them.

if there is any issue of money it should be addressed with me and i will take full responsibility at remedying the situation.

also i don't feel I slammed securedragon at all i was fair and didn't slander them in the slightest i told the truth (thats kind of our thing at schoolofprivacy) and i addressed that someone acted like an asshole and hurt us, secure dragon and the people we where trying to help that was my only intention i was upset about the entire situation and if it was perceived that i slandered securedragon im sorry.

I myself am frustrated about the whole ordeal, and yes turkey is in alot of turmoil right now with current political situations i have a softspot to helping the middle east and made a bad decision.

"Was it too much effort to jail the user to a restricted shell or setup some kind of VPN?

Congrats on finding a way to make slacktivism even lazier

insulting me isn't going to fulfill yourself at all checkout our site and projects we have dedicated alot and made signification contributions and helped thousands of people over  a year and a half we aren't (slacktivists) i have travelled as well as donated support in person to many different causes.

Especially pertaining to countries like Iran and Syria.

I tried to setup a restricted shell but i guess my knowledge in linux is a bit lacking and leaves much to desire.

shovenose, on 03 Jun 2013 - 2:02 PM, said:

Wow, you are being a total jerk in this thread.

I don't think anyone is being a jerk im just trying to tell my side, and remedy the situation as a whole rather then people tweeting at me things that are untrue and accusing me of being a bad person publicly based on what someone said in your little community in 3/4 sentences

Mun

Never Forget
I don't think @Kujoe was ever trying to tell the full story, but just the basics of a rant. Why? Because he simply can't talk about everything the customer did / has done. (Privacy)

Mun

mojeda

PAYMENTS AND REFUNDS

All payments made are non-refundable outside of the Money Back Guarantee. In the event you wish to cancel your service, the Secure Dragon staff may provide a full or partial refund at their discretion. We allow clients to add funds to their account as a convenience, these funds are non-refundable so we do not recommend adding funds in advance unless you are absolutely sure.
http://serverdragon.com/tos.php

You broke their ToS, and just saying "it was an oversight" doesn't make sense since you already knew that by their ToS not only was IRC not allowed a lot of other stuff was not allowed as well.

At the end of the day Server Dragon did not take your money as you already paid in advance and they do not offer refunds.

I don't expect a host to refund you if you broke their ToS.

wearehidden

I don't expect a refund, im just addressing it after-all i think im entitled to explain myself that's the only thing i was hoping to accomplish here.

and I knew IRC wasn't allowed because we setup an IRC server and they turned off the VPS and told us to remove it.

i was wrong, and he can keep the money thats not the issue, and I plan to pay any damages and administrative feeds gladly if he wants and shows me what was damaged and tells me how much it costs.

I apologized and There you go  

I love how a blog dedicated to freedom and openness only posts half of the story. 
I am showing my dedication to freedom and openness FYI im here telling the story and offering to fix any harm done....

Mun

Never Forget
I don't expect a refund, im just addressing it after-all i think im entitled to explain myself that's the only thing i was hoping to accomplish here.

and I knew IRC wasn't allowed because we setup an IRC server and they turned off the VPS and told us to remove it.

i was wrong, and he can keep the money thats not the issue, and I plan to pay any damages and administrative feeds gladly if he wants and shows me what was damaged and tells me how much it costs.

I apologized and There you go  

I am showing my dedication to freedom and openness FYI im here telling the story and offering to fix any harm done....
I think he was just letting a little steam go, as we all do when something like this happens.

However, just a suggestion, don't give out SSH as you don't even need an admin user anymore to cause a ton of damage. (DDOS Scripts, Kernel Exploits, SPAM, Network Tests...., etc.) All can be run without needing full admin privs.

Mun

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Welcome @wearehidden.

Clearly, the service from SecureDragon isn't one that is a great fit for your needs.

I sympathize with your need/want to help during a time of national censorship.

Here are a few things I'd recommend reading up on:

1. Web based proxies.   Glype is one such free software you can download and install on a PHP enabled host and then your friends and neighbors can browse the internet.  Unsure about it working with AJAX/Javascript heavy sites, but there are similar free scripts out there that likely do.

2. Tor --- The Onion Router.   Created in part for needs like you have.  You can find a provider who supports Tor and run an end public node to help.

I don't KuJoe is due/wants anything for time/issue.  It was a strange situation as you understand :)  Everyone involved seems reasonable.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
"Was it too much effort to jail the user to a restricted shell or setup some kind of VPN? Congrats on finding a way to make slacktivism even lazier "
@wearehidden nah, @texteditor was just pointing out that you did something wrong. He didn't mean it in an insulting way. People around here have a thick skin so they can take a joke or criticism ;-)

I don't think anyone is being a jerk
@wearehidden well, no, don't mind @shovenose, he was just trying to be sweet  :p That's his way of saying "Ich liebe dich marcm" :lol:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@wearehidden Your post and tweets make it seem like we stole your money. You could have easily said "Our server was cancelled for abuse" but you added "and our money taken..." which has a negative connotation to it. I was a bit angry when I saw your post along with visitors on your Twitter re-tweeting how we stole your money (including Twitter accounts dedicated to exposing corrupt businesses, which we are not).

wearehidden

well i can't choose the people who retweet us, and i didn't mean that you stole our money. I was making the point that because someone chose to act like an asshole it caused us to loose our money.

i never accused or implied that you guys are a corrupt buisness and im sorry for any misunderstandings. the whole point of that post was to shame the person who abused our server not you guys.

blergh

Verified Provider
I have been to Turkey more than once and it doesn't strike me as a totalitarian country, I'd say that most people there are more business oriented than some of us in the west. It is their right to keep some of the things that happen in their country out of the international media.
I usually try to restrain myself from attacking people, but this right here is just plain fucking stupid.

TL;DR

LOL

amuck-landowner