amuck-landowner

Improve the theme and the fonts on this forum?

rchurch

The theme and the fonts on this forum suck. This is not a troll or anything. The fonts are too small and the contrast is poor.

Just clicking on the Daily Server Deals shows you pages which are much easier on the eye.

With all the issues on LET and LEB why don't the admins spruce it up and draw more traffic, as there don't seem to be any deals there which don't show up here other than those fronting Colocrossing/Chicago VPS.

Aesthetics matter.

rchurch

Why not poke around http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/110-skins-templates-themes/ and see what you like?

If you know of any places that has some paid themes that might also work.

I'm sure if there was a major community backing of a single paid theme he'd consider it if the price isn't too high.

Francisco
To be honest it is not so much the theme, it is more the contrast and the fonts. The kerning on the small size fonts doesn't seem right and perhaps brown pastel colours don't look too good. The Popular Tags for instance are hardly visible except for the bold ones. The main text areas are okay. I think it is more a matter of editing the CSS than anything else.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why don't the admins spruce it up and draw more traffic
Admins are usually too busy being admins.  

Seriously, keep the the trouble parts of the "design" coming / issues.  

Current theme looks/works well for me, but I realize others might have inferior experience.

rchurch

Current theme looks/works well for me, but I realize others might have inferior experience.
Your eyes may be way better than mine. Are you able to make out the Popular Tags at a glance? Surely your eyes can't be that good, perhaps the visual centres of your brain are more attuned to those fonts.

Sefket

I really like the theme/fonts from WHT. But of course I like it here too. WHT uses vBulletin, but I really like IPB.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Howdy rchurch!

I don't think I quite follow exactly what you're saying. Would it be a problem if you could kinda tell us specifically how we can improve the forum? We're always looking for ways to improve!

What I get from reading your post is you want more contrast, so fonts to be black, maybe a change of pace for the design?

If you can give us an example (maybe like what Francisco said and a theme/paid theme example) then we can understand what's going on :)

If you want, I'll be on IRC later/soon-ish and you and I can talk about this.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Popular Tags cloud is a bit of too small and too little contrast.  I can read it fine, but that's clearly a spot for improvement.   

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The theme and the fonts on this forum suck. This is not a troll or anything. The fonts are too small and the contrast is poor.

Just clicking on the Daily Server Deals shows you pages which are much easier on the eye.

With all the issues on LET and LEB why don't the admins spruce it up and draw more traffic, as there don't seem to be any deals there which don't show up here other than those fronting Colocrossing/Chicago VPS.

Aesthetics matter.
Sorry the theme isn't to your liking. There is a 'vpsBoard Dark' theme available in the 'Change Theme' feature in the footer, however keep in mind it probably doesn't look better and may break some things.  I'm open to adding additional themes as options, though don't feel comfortable changing the entire site design unless it's a community voted thing.

Really? It hurts my eyes, too bright. I like dark themes, but no one else does. :( DSD is going to get a makeover when I can get around to doing it or whenever I pay someone to integrate a theme into it.

Haha, really? Check out DailyServerDeals, use the 'Find a Plan' tool. I don't think anyone has even posted a Colocrossing offer, yet. There is a slew of solid providers represented here utilizing diverse networks and upstreams, certainly not limited to the run-of-the-mill CC locations as fronted on LEB/LET.

Why not poke around http://community.invisionpower.com/files/category/110-skins-templates-themes/ and see what you like?

If you know of any places that has some paid themes that might also work.

I'm sure if there was a major community backing of a single paid theme he'd consider it if the price isn't too high.

Francisco
This. May be worth starting a thread to get community input. I don't mind getting a new theme for the forum that is an option to logged in users.

To be honest it is not so much the theme, it is more the contrast and the fonts. The kerning on the small size fonts doesn't seem right and perhaps brown pastel colours don't look too good. The Popular Tags for instance are hardly visible except for the bold ones. The main text areas are okay. I think it is more a matter of editing the CSS than anything else.
I was actually going to remove the tag cloud because it seemed like wasted space that wasn't being used anyway. Though now that I see someone uses it (even if it's hard to see), I'll see about keeping it and just making it easier to see. Thoughts?

The existing theme hurts my eyes a lot less than the green of LET, but if I had it my way I'd be using dark colors all day. Sadly no one else likes dark themes. :(

@OP what browser are you using?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
The existing theme hurts my eyes a lot less than the green of LET, but if I had it my way I'd be using dark colors all day. Sadly no one else likes dark themes. :(
Hehe well I'm one of the people who supports light themes over dark.

Light themes are usually much better on the eyes and for most environments I prefer it. Here's a graphicsdesign StackExchange post about it:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/15142/which-is-easier-on-the-eyes-dark-on-light-or-light-on-dark

Of course not a ton of people use CRTs anymore, but the readability studies still stands.

The top answer explains pretty well why I believe it's important to have a lighter theme than a darker theme. Although I will admit dark themes do have their purpose:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/17195/dark-theme-vs-light-theme-in-web-applications

I guess what I'm saying is that vpsBoard should not be a dark themed website because there's no purpose to it being a dark themed website. The important part of this website is the content, therefore (referencing link 1 again) the ability for users to easily read the content is important.

Here's some other literatures on this, and granted this post is not a heavily researched post (give me a few days or so to fully research this if you really want me to and I can probably write a report about it), but here's some research papers on this topic:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0169814102001889

Review the color combination parts (also this is about changes to the chinese characters but it still applies). While it stresses that larger contrasts do allow for faster reading speeds, the data shows black-on-white (black text on white background) had optimum readability and (marginally) less error than black on white.

http://lite.mst.edu/media/research/ctel/documents/LITE-2003-04.pdf

Shows a strong correlation between readability and subject preference (in terms of topic and color use). The important part though is that it shows black on white has better readability when the subject is commercial content (preferred colors scored higher for academic/educational content).

Always do your own research, and again by no means is this a complete thorough analysis on this topic. It's merely my understanding and preference on communication through webpages/electronic means.

Last edited by a moderator:

jebat_ks

Aesthetics matter.
I agree on the contrast comment. Font is ok for me.

On the other hand, I really hate Daily Server Deals or any website with solid white/black background, especially one with many empty spaces. Try smoother colour, the best would be light blue or green.

Dylan

It is not when it's on 1920 x 1080 unless i zoom in 125% in chrome then it will be fine
Yeah, I have to do the same thing. Comparing this forum to WHT, everything's much more readable there -- despite the font size being the same -- because of the text color choices. Even just changing the post text here to black would help a lot.

vs.

Yeah, I have to do the same thing. Comparing this forum to WHT, everything's much more readable there -- despite the font size being the same -- because of the text color choices. Even just changing the post text here to black would help a lot.

Or you could make it like this.

joepie91

Verify whether it looks like this image, or differently (make sure to click the image first, to open it in original resolution):

ARHqtCB.png

There might be something 'off' with your font rendering settings (or the way your browser renders fonts). I personally find the above pretty easy to read, even if I'm not really a fan of this theme.

The contrast is also fine for me - you may want to calibrate your monitor, it may be misconfigured. You can find some (platform-independent) calibration tools here: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Epidrive

Verified Provider
Manndude why not just set a global default theme to use and it does not have to be many of it

That dark theme is obviously for gaming and hacking niches, and it makes vpsboard look bad tbh.

Why not just pay a designer for a custom theme? That way we could get more members in the community, and im pretty sure the revenues on the ad would be more than enough to cover the cost. Its just a one time payment afterall - not a recurring so you still get to keep the money in the next months.

Virtovo

Verified Provider
The only thing I think needs to be fixed is the contrast of the text on the brown pastel background.  

amuck-landowner