amuck-landowner

Incerno giving away free IPv4?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Compete with colocrossing in the "VPS company" market maybe?

CC is known for giving away IP space at extremely low, if not free at times.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Its with proper justification and such.  And obviously you immediately won't get a /24 straight out of the gates.  But yeah, Incero is fantastic.  

Zach

Verified Provider
Compete with colocrossing in the "VPS company" market maybe?

CC is known for giving away IP space at extremely low, if not free at times.

Francisco
Yeah it'd seem like it since they're offering a free month when you switch over from another host.  

AlexBarakov

Verified Provider
I assume they want to get more IPs before ARIN runs out as well. Pretty much - if they give away what they have, with the proper justification forms for their usage, they can get bigger allocations from ARIN, before they run out. One they ARIN will run out of IPs as well and IPs are going to get 5$ each, just as in EU :)

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
It worries me a bit since Incero recently got a extremely small allocation recently (a /22 obtained just weeks ago) and now they're pulling this off.

Either they managed to boot off a extremely high IP user or something.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I assume they want to get more IPs before ARIN runs out as well. Pretty much - if they give away what they have, with the proper justification forms for their usage, they can get bigger allocations from ARIN, before they run out. One they ARIN will run out of IPs as well and IPs are going to get 5$ each, just as in EU :)
This is the funny part.

I see people posting OVH VM's on WHT all the time and they come in at $2 - $3/m/ea, even though the IP's are costing them nearly that. Didn't OVH make everyones IP's be $1/ea, even if you paid the old setup fees?

Francisco

jarland

The ocean is digital
I think it's quite the kind gesture. Gordon has been accused of handing out too many IPs without any decent justification in the past, and I think his more recent IP policy is a result of how he and his team have grown with the business. I don't think he's going to be making that mistake, and I think he's got a fairly decent head on his shoulders for determining who among his clients means business and who is just playing "vps provider" for the summer. Only time will tell, of course. Obviously remaining positive is a bit of a requirement from me ;)

SeriesN

Verified Provider
One week, they take away Ip, another week they give it away. It is like high school love.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I know of a handful of data centers giving away free IPs with X amount of service, heck, Cogent will give you as many /24s as you can justify if you have a 100Mbps with them.

Handy Networks is offering free IPs and I almost took advantage of it but you never know how long those free IPs will last. It's easy to give them away when there's a shortage but when all of the IP space is gone and somebody comes offering $5/IP for a /22 on top of $XXXX for bandwidth/power/space, you can bet that the person paying $400 with a /24 is going to get shafted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I know of a handful of data centers giving away free IPs with X amount of service, heck, Cogent will give you as many /24s as you can justify if you have a 100Mbps with them.
Cogent also has at least an /8 of their own :p

Francisco

jarland

The ocean is digital
What's that run about $14?  :D

KuJoe

Verified Provider
What's that run about $14?  :D
LoL! I was quoted $400 for a 100Mbps commit but that was in Tampa where bandwidth is pricey. I have quotes of $200+ per Mbps from other providers and some data centers will give you a "discount" of $50/Mbps for a 100Mbps commit.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
A tad strange Gordon/Incero is pushing the IPV4 like this.  He just got oddly tight about IP allocation a few weeks back.

Certainly is an allocation party on his part with this move.

Combating other bargain providers?  Maybe part of it too.

IPV6 needs to become enabled all over and put this IP issue to sleep.  True shortage happens and whole bunch of companies not hording IPs are going to have a very tough time growing their business.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Definitely bipolar, literally a few weeks ago we had 24 hours to ensure all IPs were pingable or they'd be reclaimed.
He obviously wanted to reclaim the IPs so he could give out more free IPs a few weeks later!

Kidding of course. Interesting what he's doing.

amuck-landowner