Introducing the vpsBoard Library!

Discussion in 'Announcements & Contests' started by MannDude, Jan 18, 2015.

1. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    I'm pretty excited to get this up and off the ground finally, it's been a work in progress for a while. As you may have seen already in the sidebar, there is a block containing articles/tutorials from the new vpsBoard 'Library'.

The Library consists of quality articles and tutorials submitted by vpsBoard members and will be the home of newly created content that will be made on a regular basis starting next month from our Content Contributors. I'm very excited to move vpsBoard forward in being a great source of relevant information for everyone in the industry, whether you're a customer looking to setup your first VPS or the business owner trying to reduce the impact of a DDoS attack on your node. The Library will be a central collection of great contributions to vpsBoard. Whether you browse the library directly or not is your choice, published articles in the library will also be visible on the forum in the appropriate section. Comments made to the forum thread will appear in the Library article, and vice versa.

So, this is just a quick update. There are still some minor cosmetic issues that need to be worked out but I felt the setup was ready enough to move forward with.

Note:  The vpsBoard 2013 theme has been disabled as only about 150 people were using it (and I am uncertain how many were actually active members). It may be re-added but needs to be updated to work with the new features, so for now it's been disabled and members forced to the 2014 theme that's been used by most.

2. RTGHM

RTGHM New Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Okay, good, I'm not fucking insane. I saw library and was like "..... wasn't that just recent posts the last time I refreshed....?"

And looks good though.

MannDude likes this.
  3. k0nsl

k0nsl Bad Goy

Dec 15, 2013
    As an avid reader, what can I say? I like it a lot!  :)

MannDude likes this.
  4. RTGHM

RTGHM New Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Any possibilities to do a little logging and based off of what members visit on the forum, suggest possible articles to best suit what they browse on the forums?

MannDude likes this.
  5. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    I like The Library.   Lots of good reference material that I either forgot about (and ended up buried in the site) or that I somehow missed.

I am a big fan of similar curated collections of good materials / highly focused topics.

Keep up the good work!

MannDude likes this.
  6. MannDude

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    I am not 100% certain. It would be neat though, I do agree with that.

RTGHM likes this.
  7. clarity

clarity Active Member

May 15, 2013
    This new library feature is pretty nice. I like the layout of the content that is provided on the page. It makes it easy to see what the article provides for you. 

Very clean way of doing things.

MannDude likes this.
  8. danni

danni New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    I was one of them :(

Is there anyway to get the "recent topics" back ?  :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
    raindog308, fixidixi and RTGHM like this.
  9. MannDude

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Here you go. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  10. Kalam

Kalam New Member

May 16, 2013
    Looks good. Could you implement categories though, like if I wanted to look at ones that talked about nginx, or security, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
    drmike and Hxxx like this.
  11. Hxxx

Hxxx Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Great work.

MannDude likes this.
  12. wlanboy

wlanboy Content Contributer

May 16, 2013
    That's a nice way to present highly rated tutorials.

Reminds me to write some tutorials again..

MannDude likes this.
  13. eva2000

eva2000 Active Member

May 22, 2013
    nice.. only just noticed the library today heh

MannDude likes this.
  14. mojeda

mojeda New Member

May 14, 2013
    Does it bug anyone else that the list changes every time the page loads?

15. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    I actually like the random aspect.   Every page reload might be a bit much....

Seeing stuff in there often that I need to bookmark and finally give a spin.

16. mojeda

mojeda New Member

May 14, 2013
    To me it seems better to show latest ones and then include a link to the library, otherwise people just bypass the whole library all together (in my opinion). *click*, oh look another I want *click*, oh look another *click*.

17. qrwteyrutiyoup

qrwteyrutiyoup Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Any chances of changing the behavior of the "Recent Comments" frame? Displaying the same topic in every spot does show people commented there last, but I think it would be really more valuable to see the last topics people have commented on. 

kR5eWaU.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
    ChrisM and drmike like this.
  18. Chatahooch

Chatahooch New Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Nice one. Can never have too many well written current guides.

19. willie

willie New Member

May 24, 2013
    I think we can do without the entry about purposely hogging disk space on shared hosts.  I'm sort of understanding about the motivation behind it (it was a dig against a certain disliked provider) but it doesn't seem like something needing immortalization in the library.

mojeda likes this.
  20. ChrisM

ChrisM Cocktail Enthusiast Moderator Verified Provider

Apr 2, 2013
    I liked it better when the recent threads option was on top. Easier to find out what is going on in the world without looking through all the categories or waiting for someone to comment. 

host4go and QuadraNet_Adam like this.