amuck-landowner

iPhone 6* & Apple Watch Discussion!

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The whole watch movement cracks me up.  Most of us stopped wearing and caring about watches many years ago when the clock function was built prominently into phones.  Back around when Blackberry was all the rage.
Honestly, the watch kind of tempts me.  Not the Apple watch specifically but the idea...but I can find no logical reason for it other than the geekitude of yet another gadget.

If I had one, I'd want to be able to talk to it directly without the phone tether, and also have it do fitness tracking.  Radio reception or some kind of small onboard media player with a headphone jack would be nice, too.  Radio/TV watches have actually been around a long time (radio watches since the 1950s).
I picked up a Samsung Gear 2 for just over 150$ thanks to a screw-up at Amazon.  I was skeptical, but had someone that would buy it from me for 250 if I didn't like it, so what the hell.

I get a TON of use out of the media controls alone.  I use my phone constantly for music streaming (typically through my truck's speakers or a Logitech UE Boom), and it's pretty damn convenient to not have to fumble about with the phone.

Being able to check texts with a tap, and respond with voice-to-text instead of sliming up my screen typing if I have my hands dirty.  Ditto with calls.  The fitness thing has been pretty nifty, though it doesn't always read my long-stride sauntering very well.

Would I pay 300$ for one of these?  Likely not, since at end of the day it's just a geek toy.  But I had a couple bucks spare, and thanks to the aforementioned buddy it was a risk-free purchase, so I went for it. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Thanks Ald :)

Working dudes and dirty hands and phones.. Or better, me with constant wet hands or humidity... Yeah swipping and these devices sucks.  I always get into lack of resistence with no reaction on swipe screens when working.  Pisses me off   multiple times a week.  A few phones have died due to tantrums...

As far as voice stuff... I refuse to talk to myself with a device listening...  I see people talking to themselves all the time with phone listening supposedly and I am suspect ;) So  I suppose the watch concept could work.. if they made such less trendy looking, metal, durable as all hell and less watch form factor.  Maybe a band and something more rectangle like on forearm.

Yeah I kill devices.  They aren't suitable for working people or those of use who get dirty, wet, rained on sometimes, sweat, etc.  I've seen iPhones left outside die in the nighttime humidity, literally drowning from humidity.  People that work for me are replacing phones monthly it seems... High churn, all manufacturers.   I push the exotic IP whatever cert'd gear but carriers don't carry such retail so you are in the twilight zone, out of pocket purchasing, no instant on site replacement, etc.

That fitness feature----  is just an accelerometer.  I am still surprised it's such a widely used technique.  Like you I don't have that normal human swagger walk, that happens when you have the wear and tear I have.  So I get funny output on accelerometers.   Walk on solidier!  $5 device top an accelerometer is :)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Just got the notification my iPhone 6+ shipped! :) So is everyone else that ordered on track to get theirs Friday?

RpY36Bq.png

Last edited by a moderator:

NullMind

Verified Provider
I am resisting this one until I see it, I find my iPhone 5s size already big "enough", sort of preferred the size of the 4/s, but that might change once I actually hold one in my hands

The Watch .. I don't even need to see it ... want one !!

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Took some pics with the google glass. I got to say.. The Battery Life of the 6+ is amazing. 

pNyliFC.jpgngNM57j.jpgC7NdDt7.jpgFrOOnUr.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
This kind of confirms my suspicions about the iPhone 6:

• The race to thinness is kind of silly, because a number of people have said "I wouldn't mind it being thicker because the battery life could be better and I wouldn't be as likely to drop it".  Every iPhone I've had I've immediately put a grippier Pixelskin rubber case on.
  • The iPhone Plus is going to appeal to people who don't want to have/can't afford both an iPad and an iPhone.  I find I use them in completely different scenarios, so I prefer a smaller phone - the 5S is nicely sized.

Well, I'm sure it's a nice phone.  They always are.  I just find it annoying that Apple shoe-horns the globe into their vision of how you should live your life and use technology, but, well, that's the Apple ethos.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I just find it annoying that Apple shoe-horns the globe into their vision of how you should live your life and use technology, but, well, that's the Apple ethos.
That, their marketing, and the absolutely obnoxious fanbase are pretty much why I've never been willing to give them another chance.  That, and any company that has the gall to make their consumer base pay full price to be alpha/beta testers, and not even offer trade-in/discount on the 'fixed' version of the device, is one I would never purchase from.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Ridiculous.  Apple's drive to be thinner/lighter has driven them to a poor product design.  Really, would you be unhappy if the phone had another few millimeters and grams?

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I would be incredibly happy if the few extra grams were highly radioactive.  At least then half my workplace would quit banging on about the damn thing, eventually.

TekStorm - Walter

I actually had and iphone and i didnt find anything amazing about it, it was all hype from the marketing. However I will never buy another iphone just for the simply fact that when i tried to leave the phone and change companies and phone i couldnt, my phone number work stuck on there stupid servers and no matter what my new phone company did or the old phone company did they couldnt get it off and that really p'ed me off and so i had to get a new number. So, never ever again will i get an iphone.

amuck-landowner