amuck-landowner

iwStack 4 month review

fisle

In March I decided to cancel my Prometeus KVMSSD2 deal and migrate to iwStack because I needed more RAM so I thought, 'Why not iwStack?' aaand here we are.

Provider: Prometeus

Plan: iwStack

Price: ~7€ / month

Purchased: 2014/03/18

Features:

• 2 cores @ 2GHz
  • 1024MB RAM
  • 10GB root disk (included free) + extra 20GB disk
  • 1 IPv4 and /64 IPv6
  • Unmetered incoming traffic & 1TB/month outgoing
  • Free DNS hosting with Rage4
What the instance is doing:

• Private email server
  • My website (static site generated)
  • 2 small PHP webapps with MySQL
  • IRC bouncer (znc)
  • Squid private proxy
How it is doing the job:

The VPS is doing its job just fine with no issues. Only time when it felt slow was when my webapp was eating all the ram accidentally :D

Uptime is currently rocking at 133 days. This month I installed uptime monitoring service on a Kimsufi box which reports 99.991% availability with downtime of 4 minutes. (Might have been caused by the kimsufi box and its network though ;) )

The latency from my location (Finland) is 49ms which to me is completely acceptable considering my usage.

Support:

I've needed a ticket to set a reverse DNS entry for my domain. I set my ticket as low priority and it got answered in an hour, which I find good for low priority tickets. As a previous customer of Prometeus I've noticed that all the replies are very polite.

Hardware Information:

• cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x1
cpu MHz : 1999.999
cache size : 4096 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 4
wp : yes
flags : fpu de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx lm nopl pni cx16 hypervisor lahf_lm
bogomips : 3999.99
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

• dd
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.56492 s, 301 MB/s
  • bench.sh
Code:
CPU model :  QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
Number of cores : 2
CPU frequency :  1999.999 MHz
Total amount of ram : 1002 MB
Total amount of swap : 465 MB
System uptime :   133 days, 22:35,       
Download speed from CacheFly: 54.5MB/s 
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 3.69MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 3.55MB/s 
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.73MB/s 
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 17.8MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 13.2MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.70MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 2.93MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 2.54MB/s 
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 4.42MB/s 
I/O speed :  278 MB/s
Summary:

Prometeus - rock solid as usual. Uncle is running a great show. Very stable server. Absolute uptime without it costing an arm and a leg. 5/5 would host business critical apps with.

yomero

I've been a customer of these brands too for several years.

As always, consistent performance and solid network.

And if I must say something bad, I have too things.

First, like a week ago I started my first iwstack instance at USA for production use. Previously it was just for tests and so. And I had a mysterious shutdown like a week ago. No idea what happened, but I booted my machine manually.

Second, my first support ticket (notice the first, so I never required support until now, which is great) was left unanswered after a little bit of conversation. Maybe they just forgot to answer it and got closed automatically or something. Not a big deal since isn't an important issue to be honest.

Overall, I am happy. The service is really good for the price, and I am looking forward to see new features in their offerings. Mainly, I hope to get the Milan features at Dallas, like true HA, or native IPV6 and so on.

Edit:

@fisle The 10GB disk isn't free AFAIK. Or it is? I can see the costs of all my volumes in the billing details.

Last edited by a moderator:

fisle

Edit:

@fisle The 10GB disk isn't free AFAIK. Or it is? I can see the costs of all my volumes in the billing details.
Hmm, at least this tutorial mentions "all VMs come with a root disk of 10GB" so perhaps it's a cost you cannot remove.  Perhaps I should reword it better :D

yomero

Hmm, at least this tutorial mentions "all VMs come with a root disk of 10GB" so perhaps it's a cost you cannot remove.  Perhaps I should reword it better :D
Well, you should assign a root volume to your instance. So, it can be even 1GB if you want. The tutorial is an example I guess. And if you use the templates provided, you are forced to use an specific root volume size.

amuck-landowner