Just got a free VPS (kinda)

Discussion in 'Hosting Talk & Reviews' started by D. Strout, Apr 18, 2013.

1. D. Strout

D. Strout Resident IPv6 Proponent

Apr 17, 2013
    A little while back, IPXCore was getting ready to deploy KVM services alongside their OpenVZ ones. For a $2 one-time fee, I got a 512MB KVM for about a month and a half to try it out. As a "thank you" afterwards they gave everyone who tried it a 45% off coupon, and the $2 paid would be available as account credit. After the trial was over, I wasn't really interested in holding on to it, so I archived the coupon and moved on.

The other day I was looking for an IPv6 capable box in NY. Those are unfortunately in very short supply, BuyVM being the only provider to offer such a thing in my price range. So I decided to compromise and use tunneled IPv6 from HE.net, but I would need KVM to do that (I've never had any luck with TUN/TAP + tb-tun). IPXCore's KVMs are in Buffalo, so I decided to pick one up. I remembered the testing offers I had, so I tried to order with the coupon. Didn't work. I opened a ticket, and Damian responded in two minutes asking me for the desired hostname, then set up the order. I was ordering the "Iron" KVM package. With 45% off the $3.99 price tag, then $2 off of that, the final price came to $0.20. Damian was kind enough to waive that (well, it really wasn't worth it to him to charge 20 cents), so now I have a free KVM for a month.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool. Thanks IPXCore and Damian. The offers could have been applied the other way around: $3.99 - $2 = $1.99. 45% off $1.99 would leave me with ~$1.10 to pay, but I got it for free. Sweet deal.

n0my likes this.
  2. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Nice!

I actually have a 'free vps', that I had forgotten about. I believe it's free for a year, but when auditing my personal VPS accounts I came across an email from a provider that I had forgotten I had ever used.

Long story short, free VPS for an indefinite period of time for me to tunnel my traffic through when I wish.

3. D. Strout

D. Strout Resident IPv6 Proponent

Apr 17, 2013
    Of course then there's the free VPSes from ChunkHost, but they haven't set one up for me yet. At capacity, so they say.

4. notFound

notFound Don't take me seriously! Verified Provider

Apr 11, 2013
    I have a few real free VPS's (reputable providers too). ;)

5. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Do share, do share.

6. mojeda

mojeda New Member

May 14, 2013
    I had a free VPS from ChunkHost and Host1Free but forgot about them and now I guess I don't have them anymore which is understandable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  7. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    Damian is a great guy.  IPXCore runs an alright operation.  Just wish they weren't in Buffalo too. :(

Need more offers in other parts of the state.

8. grayfuz

grayfuz New Member

May 15, 2013
    any unused vps out there? im more than willing to have it hehehe..

9. Ivan

Ivan New Member Verified Provider

May 16, 2013
    I have a free VPS from Host1Free. I don't really use it, so it's just there idle. Network speed is 500Kbps, but hey, it's free. Helped me out a lot back then when I was totally new to VPSs. 

As for ChunkHost, my 'free' order is still pending from last year. :D

10. blergh

blergh New Member Verified Provider

Apr 10, 2013
    Stop leeching, it just makes you seem like a cheap idiot.