KernelCare - Rebootless Kernel Updates

Discussion in 'Hosting Talk & Reviews' started by AMDbuilder, May 15, 2014.

1. AMDbuilder

AMDbuilder Active Member Verified Provider

Jan 3, 2014
    It looks like the folks over at CloudLinux are looking to shake up the rebootless kernel update market with their introduction of KernelCare (http://kernelcare.com/).  They announced pricing on March 30th, with retail sales starting on the 1st, so it's a newer solution, but looks promising.

They support CentOS6, RHEL6, CloudLinux 6, OpenVZ for x86_64 unmodified kernels currently, with more coming down the road.

Anyone give this a shot yet, and if so how has it been working for you?

MannDude likes this.
  2. MannDude

MannDude Just a dude vpsBoard Founder Moderator

Mar 8, 2013
    MannDude
    Nice. Curious how it compares to KSplice.

3. WebSearchingPro

WebSearchingPro VPS Peddler Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    KGraft is an open source and *free* alternative to KSplice and KernelCare, it was released to the public about 3 weeks ago.

https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/kgraft-live-kernel-patching-now-available-download/

Edit: There is also one called KPatch, these tools are less automated than KernelCare, but in that you will have more control over the patching process. 

----

One thing to note about procedurally updating the kernel this way is the kernel may not have issues while your server is running, but if the server gets rebooted a patch may cause some unforeseen issue and the server may not boot properly. I've seen mentions of this as a potential pitfall for tools such as this.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
    HalfEatenPie likes this.
  4. jenok

jenok New Member Verified Provider

Jun 24, 2013
    Too bad, no xen :)

5. blergh

blergh New Member Verified Provider

Apr 10, 2013
    I've been a ksplice customer since 2010 or so, sticking with that as it's cheap & proven to work.

6. LusoVPS

LusoVPS New Member Verified Provider

Jun 2, 2013
    Well, redhat does support this for I don't know how long (at least 3 years?). But it's quite nice that they're applying it to other distros.

7. HostSailor

HostSailor Member Verified Provider

Apr 27, 2014
    Ksplice offers only services to oracle linux I think now, so thank you for the share, will give kernelcare a try.

8. BlackoutIsHere

BlackoutIsHere New Member Verified Provider

May 16, 2013
    Wow this looks really interesting. Will definitely keep up with this and see how it works for people.