amuck-landowner

Keybase.io invitation

Raymii

I have 2 Keybase.io invitations to give out. What is Keybase?:

Keybase will be a public directory of publicly auditable public keys. All paired, for convenience, with unique usernames. (https://keybase.io/)

It is quite awesome. Works with the gpg keys you already have and also lets you do browser encryption if you whish so. You can upload a private key, but since it is protected with a passphrase it should be secure.

Please post why you want a keybase invite. You should be active on there and at least validate your accounts, and sign / track some other people.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
You can upload a private key, but since it is protected with a passphrase it should be secure.
Private Key and Online should not be in the same sentence. I don't know how anyone can think uploading their private key online is safe. I'm not sure I quite understand the benefit of this service. How does it work differently than me verifying signatures on my own? The site doesn't go into much detail on comparing itself to what people have been using for ages. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

This sounds crazy even without the uploaded private keys.  The keybase web site itself also screams privacy invasion, e.g. through the transclusion of googleapis.  Even the idea of a public key directory (PGP had keyservers as you might remember) was somewhat obnoxious and didn't catch on all that well. 

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
I've gotta second that one.  My keys stay on my person, at all time - I don't even leave copies on my home workstation.  I seriously can't imagine why someone would willingly upload theirs to a medium they have no control over...
From reading the site, it seems to be trying to make security "easier", for people who aren't savvy on PGP. Which would mean uploading a private key online seems safe from such a persons point of view. I can only see this going down a bad route. But I'll keep an eye on this project.

Raymii

Private Key and Online should not be in the same sentence. I don't know how anyone can think uploading their private key online is safe. I'm not sure I quite understand the benefit of this service. How does it work differently than me verifying signatures on my own? The site doesn't go into much detail on comparing itself to what people have been using for ages. Just curious.
You don't have to upload a private key. That is indeed less secure, the only thing that protects it then is the passphrase. Plus it allows for offline attacks by our friends at the three letter agencies. But still, if we want more people to use encryption, it should be easy to use.

Anybody want an invite?

eddynetweb

I already have an account. It seems a tad-bit fishy to me, as to why someone would upload there "private" keys online, even with a passphrase. I'm not sure though...

wlanboy

Content Contributer
This is a no-go service.

Can't believe that people store their private keys on a public service.

amuck-landowner