amuck-landowner

KVM anti abuse how do you counter abuse with kvm users?

sz1hosting

Hello, i was wondering what other providers methods are for counter acting kvm abuse, we have the mail side of things sorted but other forms of abuse has to be checked manaully is there any kvm anti abuse scripts available? What do you do to stop abuse on kvm vps servers? Please provide any feedback you can and tips and information that is relevant to the title.

Thank you for reading and replying if you do!

sz1hosting

Is there not any scripts etc like nodewatch for kvm? Any other tips or any links please would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

mtwiscool

Is there not any scripts etc like nodewatch for kvm? Any other tips or any links please would be appreciated.
kvm is a virtulised as openvz is not so you do not have access to the prosses unless you get vps access witch the most common way is to add ssh keys to your templates then have to track via ssh :) .

mtwiscool

And this right here is why NOBODY will ever take you seriously.  What you've just described is dishonest, unethical, and a massive violation of privacy.
And everyone thinks you are a asshole.

What i discribed is a vary common meathed to check vps's.

It's called anti-abuse and i would be more sceaed if my provider did not check what the users are using as they could abuse the node and slow down other vps's aka if you want privicty get a dedicated server.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Again, Matthew, you fail to spell check your posts or read over the text before you post.

You've also just called another forum user an 'asshole'. I've called out others for treating you poorly and I'll do the same to you despite you crying wolf in PM.

Aldryic's post is very relevant and true. If you condone adding SSH keys to your templates then you're not to be trusted at all.

mtwiscool

Again, Matthew, you fail to spell check your posts or read over the text before you post.

You've also just called another forum user an 'asshole'. I've called out others for treating you poorly and I'll do the same to you despite you crying wolf in PM.

Aldryic's post is very relevant and true. If you condone adding SSH keys to your templates then you're not to be trusted at all.
It is how you solve the issue and why i would never offer kvm or xen vps's.

You should look at your vps's for ssh keys as you will lickly find extra one's from you provider.

Even ovh used to do this with dedicated servers.

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
It's not how you solve the issue at all, that's entirely misleading and dangerous.

sz1hosting

We keep any eye on banwidth and we use our own mail relay service too, and everything is else is manual we do not go into peoples kvm's with out there permission or there for sure would be a storm or cancellations heading our way, thanks for the feedback guys and thanks for trying @VPS Enthusiast your method can be done would need the terms to be changed and would cause a lot of problems, we can catch abuse no problem the thing is we have to do it manually ( without entering the kvm without permission ) so manual is the only way or?

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
can you please share your suggstion?
I have a suggestion, no idea what a suggstion is though:

1) Don't take on shit clients.

2) Don't take on shit clients.

3) Suspend shit clients if they abuse your KVM node.

4) Get rid of shit clients.

mtwiscool

We keep any eye on banwidth and we use our own mail relay service too, and everything is else is manual we do not go into peoples kvm's with out there permission or there for sure would be a storm or cancellations heading our way, thanks for the feedback guys and thanks for trying @VPS Enthusiast your method can be done would need the terms to be changed and would cause a lot of problems, we can catch abuse no problem the thing is we have to do it manually ( without entering the kvm without permission ) so manual is the only way or?
plus whmc based anti-fraud, stopforumspam api checks(as people buy bots) and extra questons or extra id for high risk countries.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Yes, I _AM_ an asshole.  Why is it taking you so long to understand that calling me such is a simple truth, and not insulting in the slightest?

Tell you what - why don't you start posting on all of the forums you scam at, and tell people that you load your templates with RSA keys so that you can go snooping at your discretion.  I would _LOVE_ to see the fallout from that.

You're not a provider.  You're not even a 'free host'.  You're just a kid with absolutely no understanding of how things work;  no desire to actually learn anything beyond your twisted and grossly inaccurate assumptions; and honestly probably no capacity to learn even if you wanted to.  I can almost bring myself to feel pity for the poor saps that trust you enough to use your 'services'.

mtwiscool

Yes, I _AM_ an asshole.  Why is it taking you so long to understand that calling me such is a simple truth, and not insulting in the slightest?

Tell you what - why don't you start posting on all of the forums you scam at, and tell people that you load your templates with RSA keys so that you can go snooping at your discretion.  I would _LOVE_ to see the fallout from that.

You're not a provider.  You're not even a 'free host'.  You're just a kid with absolutely no understanding of how things work;  no desire to actually learn anything beyond your twisted and grossly inaccurate assumptions; and honestly probably no capacity to learn even if you wanted to.  I can almost bring myself to feel pity for the poor saps that trust you enough to use your 'services'.
Sorry for calling you an asshole i'm a bit streesed with school.

we do not run kvm based vm only openvz so no need for rsa.

We only go into a vm if we spot abuse in the node's prosses.

I do own a free vps service and 2 free shared hosts and 1 free domain website.

I support my users fully and even sometimes install and config programs for them.

I unlike freevps.us allow gameservers as i have no sponsers to make angry as i use a rented node allowing me full freedom to offer what i like.

I love running hosts, it is a fun thing to run as you get to meet people making new things all the time.

We do not scam anyone.

sz1hosting

If anyone has some relevant information auto anti abuse in any ways possible please feel free to add that information or links.

mtwiscool

If anyone has some relevant information auto anti abuse in any ways possible please feel free to add that information or links.
It depends how much your users are worth.

Ofcuase phoning the users up before activation might help but would be hard to imperment.

I would suggest you drop all connections to your website from hosting providers and vpn providers to help ease abuse.

sz1hosting

MaxMind    Use ColoCrossing, they know how to fix it.

We do not use colocrossing we use fdc servers - redstation - integria and for our usa location fiber hub las vegas.

It depends how much your users are worth.

Ofcuase phoning the users up before activation might help but would be hard to imperment.

I would suggest you drop all connections to your website from hosting providers and vpn providers to help ease abuse.

We use anti fraud methods etc, i am basically looking for automated anti abuse for kvm, we can easly stop abuse and stop abuse fast within a few hours of it happening or faster. Abuse is not a problem but manul anti abuse is a lot more work than automated. eg: node watch

amuck-landowner