amuck-landowner

Lesser known Content Management Systems worth looking at?

hxQ&S8ZaVn9e

I've got some free time and want to review some alternative CMS systems. I'm familiar with Wordpress, Joomla, Moodle, etc but want to see what else there is. Looking for strong but simple systems that may be a little less known. They don't even need to be PHP based. There was one I was looking at in the past that was Python based but I forget what it was called. Welcome to other ideas too.

AMDbuilder

Verified Provider
You might want to check out MODX (http://modx.com), it's very powerful, but as you have total control over code output there isn't any "signature" to identify sites using it.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
...apart from the host of available static site generators available and which are all highly customisable to individual needs and such, there's Mezzanine:

Mezzanine is a powerful, consistent, and flexible content management platform. Built using the Django framework, Mezzanine provides a simple yet highly extensible architecture that encourages diving in and hacking on the code. Mezzanine is BSD licensed and supported by a diverse and active community.
In some ways, Mezzanine resembles tools such as Wordpress that provide an intuitive interface for managing pages, blog posts, form data, store products, and other types of content. But Mezzanine is also different. Unlike many other platforms that make extensive use of modules or reusable applications, Mezzanine provides most of its functionality by default. This approach yields a more integrated and efficient platform.
It's not very "pretty" by default but with some work it can be made to look good. It has tools for importing from many of the more well-known CMSes. Have a look at it and see if it's up your alley or not  :) 

tk-hassan

If you are looking for a python based CMS then you really need to look at "Plone". There are also couple of good Perl based CMS available like "EPrints" and "WebGUI".

raj

I've used Docuwiki as a CMS for some time. Very easy to use, works right out of box, and does everything I need for a simple mostly text based site.

amuck-landowner